• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent A-Arm?

Filks

Veteran
So I've been able to do a few hundred km's this year. I was out fishing the other day, so I was oogling over my 2010 Nytro XTX - I've got about 2600kms on it. I love this thing but I noticed something funny. Looked at one side, then the other, and found myself saying "why does one spindle look more vertical than the other?" So I looked at where the shock is compared to the upper A-Arms and on my left side (when sitting on the machine) it's just slightly forward from being in the centre (maybe about a finger), and on my right side it's less than a finger from the rear and this is the spindle that is much more verticle. So I'm thinking "holy crap!". I've never hit anything with my sled. I rip bumpy trails, but hell, that's why I bought a Nytro. My skid seems to be ok - my Roest skid plate is sitting nice and flat and lined up with the frame rails. It seems a little weird to me. What should I do now? Ride it till it gets worse? Last thing I want is my shock rubbing on the A-Arm when I'm in no mans land.

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 140

when sitting on the sled are your ski tips even? or is one ski farther back then the other one? Could be a sub frame too. Or it could be nothing too

I have grizztracks subframe kit on and I bent upper a-arm I just put a bar in a bent it back . If subframe isn't bent then I would just bend it back and ride it

Ya the tips appear even - nothing seems to be out of whack other than the top arm on the one side being more further ahead than the other. Just seems odd that it could be bent forward - or bent period without having an impact from a stationary object. Nothing else that I can see looks to be damaged at all.

Sub Frame? Serious? Hey you may be completely right but, do you think it's possible to bend a sub frame riding trails and lakes? I'm not really a jumper or anything. If this is the case, I would have thought it would be stronger than this - I like riding quick, but I'm no snowcross racer.

Bent subframe. I bent mine last year fn around in my yard putting it on the trailer. Went over the plowed snow and into the yard. Came over on the right side too much with a little throttle. Its all about side impact on the ski. If that happens... bent SF :( Thats it brother. I have an 08 mtx and had the 09 updated one at the time. I went to a Skinz 2010 subframe with extra plates welded in for this year.

Check center gusset between the lower a-arms for diagonal buckling. Also check the a-rm bushings for play and make sure the lower-arm bolts are tight. If the bolts loosen they can egg out the subframe holes and make the frame appear to be bent. It doesn't take much movement in the frame to make a noticeable change out at the spindle.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... %20gusset/
DSC04240.jpg

Thanks for the pic Grizz - helped a lot. Went out and did a little more investigating this morning. My centre gusset (with the hole in it) has one wrinkle in it at about 1-2 o'clock if 12 was the front of the sled. This is also the side that has the more vertical ski spindle. If I run my finger around the hole I can feel it rise up a bit, then drop, then back to flat. I got a tape measure out and picked a reference point (fastener down by the foot well for the side panel) and up to the leading face of the lower A-Arm. On the left side I'm at 32 1/4", and on the right side (once again the more vertical spindle) I'm at 31 1/2". Man - didn't look that bad at all. So I'm left with a couple of questions - If my subframe has been bent, will it bend even easier from this point? I have the Roest skid plate on my machine - anyone have the "Grizz" type extra gusset and the skid plate? Do you just run longer bolts and put the nuts on top? Ah, not how I wanted to start my season, I still can't believe something that looks this strong can bend so easily. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Grizz - I was peeping at your photobucket pics and came across that photo. I was out and took a few more measurements (can you tell this is grating on me yet? Especially since we're in the middle of getting a pile of snow). It looks like the right lower A-Arm is pushed back. I already mentioned the earlier measurements for the lower arms, so I measured from the same fastener to the bolt at the top of the spindle and I get 28.5" on both sides. Oddly enough, the subframe doesn't look bent at all where it bolts up. I think I'm going to take it to my dealer to have them take a peek, but I may end up just trying to bend it back a little and see how that goes. I'm thinking some reinforcements are in my future for sure. I did about 50kms on it this afternoon and I really don't feel any ill affects - other than I know it's there.

What could happen if you ride with a bent subframe for an extended period of time? The bushings would be crap but could it damage the shock?

What did you end up doing with yours Robo? Did you replace with oem or aftermarket? I always wonder when I get into part replacement if I should be looking at parts that work better than stock. I'll have to spend some time on 'er and see what I'm going to get into.

Back