• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent skid questions

R00STER

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro xtx 1.75
Hey guys,
I believe I have a bent skid or some issue in the rear end. In order to centre the track I need to tighten the adjuster on the one side significantly tighter than the other side, to the point of over an inch difference in track sag. If I somewhat match the sag from side to side then the track will move over to the point of rubbing on the tunnel.
I think that my biggest question would be does anyone have any tricks on how to measure the rear skid for square? Again, there is nothing that you can see is bent, broken, or worn out. But this is preventing me from running the track as loose as I would like, last year I put extra washers on the left side rear mount just to push the tunnel out a bit more to prevent rubbing.
I have not posted any pics because trust me, there is no issues that you can spot visually.
I hope to solve this so I can loosen up the track.

Check your left side driveshaft bearing for being shot.

Tunnel could have a bit of a “banana” bend to it as well, but usually that’s from an impact of some sort. I’ve seen skids look damn near like a pretzel after you get them out of the sled as well. The arms, or cross shafts, or both, may be bent, causing one slide rail to be further forward or back than the other.

When the skid is out and on the floor, you can measure the distance of the mounting points. Measure lt front to rt rear, and the reverse. Front to rear measurement, both sides should be equal. Flip it upside down and find places to take cross measurements to check for square. Check upper cross shafts that they will spin freely. You can take the same sort of measurements in the tunnel to make sure its square. And, as previously suggested, check the driveshaft bearings, particularly the clutch side for wear.

Like the earlier comment. It’s easy to warp the tunnel if the bang is big enough.

Heads up, be mindful if the tunnel is warped or skid bent- you might have bent the driveshaft as well. The result will be the set screw on the clutch side bearing will slip and wear a groove into the shaft
Ms

Thanks guys, Speedo bearing is fine (part of yearly maintenance). I was hoping to find an accurate method that didn’t involve dropping the skid. But ya, I’m going to drop the skid today, and fight my inner demons that tell me to stretch the track for more off trail.

Back