• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Studs

yamaha06

VIP Member
Well I was up north over the weekend and the sled took a real beating. I noticed today my one carbide on my split rails is missing a chunk out of it, my one split rail ski has a nice mark on the bottom which has kind of pushed the plastic to the edge of the ski, not sure if i can melt it a bit or if it will affect the performance of the split rails, and I also noticed I have some bent studs. Do these bent studs need to be replaced? There not all bent just the odd one here and there, some worse then others.

Attachments

• bent1.jpg
    bent1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 109
  • bent2.jpg
    bent2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ski1.jpg
    ski1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 123

You do not have enough studs. The torque these motors make is so underrated because of a 600 class sled. 2 per pitch will not cut it on any 4 stroke IMHO. Looks like you need more snow like everybody else.

HOMEHARDWARE65 said:
kind of off topic but where where you riding and what were the conditions like. looks like they wherent the best trails

We were up around Sundridge, there was a lot of snow. But the trails were rough as hell that's for sure, plus the rocks you encounter and the lakes were rough from people riding across when they were slush covered which froze, was quite the ride.

bottlerocket said:
You do not have enough studs. The torque these motors make is so underrated because of a 600 class sled. 2 per pitch will not cut it on any 4 stroke IMHO. Looks like you need more snow like everybody else.

You think I should add more studs? These are just what the previous owner was running.

I have the same thing with my sled, the previous owner had 2 per row. I replaced 24 broken/missing studs. And alot of them are bent. I want to change the track next year so I am going to run it this season this way.
To stopdropandrolls point I do have the big nuts on the ones I replaced though

yamaha06 said:
Well I was up north over the weekend and the sled took a real beating. I noticed today my one carbide on my split rails is missing a chunk out of it, my one split rail ski has a nice mark on the bottom which has kind of pushed the plastic to the edge of the ski, not sure if i can melt it a bit or if it will affect the performance of the split rails, and I also noticed I have some bent studs. Do these bent studs need to be replaced? There not all bent just the odd one here and there, some worse then others.
Yamaha06 how do you like the split rails and are they worth the money?

yamaha06 said:
bottlerocket said:

You think I should add more studs? These are just what the previous owner was running.

Yes more studs are needed your putting a lot of stress on the ones you have

Curious -
How long have the split rails been on?
I noticed your comment about chipping a carbide tooth off.
I run Split Rails as well and out of all 4 carbides, all are missing a tooth now.
They have been on the sled since last Jan.
Have a new set to replace but am waiting for winter to set in and trails get built up (good be waiting awhile).
I am interested to know how your carbides have worn.
When riding I go out of my way to avoid rocks etc., but there are is always something lurking below - especially this season.
MS

Sevey said:
Curious -
How long have the split rails been on?
I noticed your comment about chipping a carbide tooth off.
I run Split Rails as well and out of all 4 carbides, all are missing a tooth now.
They have been on the sled since last Jan.
Have a new set to replace but am waiting for winter to set in and trails get built up (good be waiting awhile).
I am interested to know how your carbides have worn.
When riding I go out of my way to avoid rocks etc., but there are is always something lurking below - especially this season.
MS

Well I have had my split rails on for about 600 km they seem to handle great, I need more ski pressure though because when I was in the windy trails and was on the throttle the sled wasn't cornering as good as I would like. I was surprised to see the carbides ruined so fast, I haven't gotten a price on a new set yet, I wonder if I can melt that plastic chunk off the side of the ski with the heat gun and mold it back down to the spot missing plastic ha. For the extra studs where should I be adding since I'm not sure what previous template the other guy used, will it say on the stud what make and kind they are?

shaddow44 said:
I always replace bent studs.

How bent should the studs be before you would go through pulling them out, I have some that are noticeably belt then there are some that look pretty straight but its hard to tell if they have a slight bend to them, or am I getting to picky? Where should I be adding more studs?

Put 144 down the middle with tall nuts. Golden Rule is 1 per HP. I always replace any bent stud. The last thing you want is one of those going through your front HX,big and expensive job to fix.

nytrose said:
Put 144 down the middle with tall nuts. Golden Rule is 1 per HP. I always replace any bent stud. The last thing you want is one of those going through your front HX,big and expensive job to fix.

Where would I add more studs with this pattern? I thought you couldn't put any right in the center of the track on the xtx because it would hit off the shock mount? (Don't mind the spots where I have pulled out the bent studs)

Also I have pulled out 25 studs so far and am now going through the track a second time and still finding bent studs, they don't really look bent but when you take a pic then its easy to tell if there bent, would you bother replacing slightly bent studs, or is it possible to straighten them a bit? :nos

Attachments

• track studs.jpg
    track studs.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 642
  • benttrack.jpg
    benttrack.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 128
  • benttrack2.jpg
    benttrack2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 130

Back