• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent subframe.... AND???

Rynomite18

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 FX Nytro RTX
After doing some research, I can definitely tell my subframe is tweaked. Shocks are not centered between a-arms and ski stance is off. Used the pry bar method to straighten and got shocks (mostly) centered but haven’t added gussets, so lasted about one ride and tweaked again... The part I can’t figure out is the angle of the spindles being so far off and different.. see pics. Any advice on correcting is appreciated! Thx!

f3dc58171c903decc417fd36289da555.jpg

60ae0d874d9622c55addf45544ba0d87.jpg

709a936ea51d30346f537e2699fc1a85.jpg

aea69e942d08754155a1fcf4fde2f8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get the shock to center between the upper arm then both of your spindles should be at or really close the same angle. Really the only way to fix this is to put the gusset braces in other wise it will just keep going right back to where it is now.

You probably ride hard and fast, as deeppow16 mentioned if the shock is centered everything else will fall into place. What I found through trail and error on my XTX was the weak shock valving and wimpy front shock springs were to blame for my bent subframe. What happens is the stock shocks bottom out VERY easily, once the shock bottoms the frame then has to take the loads which in turn bends the subframe. I straightened my subframe using the prybar technique, bought a set of used aftermarket Fox Shox that now can take the loads and have never had another issue, never reinforced or replaced the subframe.

Like the last 2 mentioned, I'd guess that once the shocks are centered the spindles will match up. Looks like one shock is towards the front and the other is towards the back...

I went through this on my Nytro a while back. I straightened things out using the pry bar method and then gusseted the sub frame. Haven't had enough snow in Western WI to really test it out much yet....

Double check the A arm and ski spindle bushings as they could be worn as well. Raise the sled off the ground so the ski hang loose. Then grab a ski and push/pull to see how worn they might be. They should be tight and not rattle much

Double check the A arm and ski spindle bushings as they could be worn as well. Raise the sled off the ground so the ski hang loose. Then grab a ski and push/pull to see how worn they might be. They should be tight and not rattle much
Ball joints too! G.B.

I have B.J. that is gonna need some attention in the spring. What has everyone been using?

Thanks for all the feedback.. I was able to pry it back to “almost” straight.. spindles are still off, but better.. definitely a lot of play in the skis.. next will be to add the gussets. Does the subframe need to be removed to add them?
After that is bushings and ball joints.. any suggestions on where to source everything is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my longer front shocks from Carver Performance. You can also check Ebay or the classifieds on this site.

Back