• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent/warped jackshaft possible?

IH8CROWS

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
11 Apex
16 Apex
I've been chasing a vibration for months and visually it looks like the jackshaft is bent.

I've done everything you can think of to eliminate to get it down to this.
I'll get a dial indicator tomorrow.

I've been chasing a vibration for months and visually it looks like the jackshaft is bent.

I've done everything you can think of to eliminate to get it down to this.
I'll get a dial indicator tomorrow.
Which sled is this on?have you ever changed anything on the driveshaft?I'm dealing with the same thing but only hear& feel it when braking/slowing down.mine has been narrowed down to adding 2 extra drivers as It did not do it before with just 2 original drivers

Make sure the J-shaft bearings are in good shape. If it’s gradually getting worse that’s probably the issue.

2008 Anniversary apex.
All bearings are brand new in the chaincase and jackshaft and driveshaft.
I was chasing it in the tunnel and skid forever.
Today i took track and skid out and put case back together.
Still vibrates about 65 mph and above.
I also had a new drive shaft and drivers in it and still vibrated.

Yea sounds like you better indicate the sob.

Check your brake rotor too

At the moment rotor is off and still vibrates but will check that also with gauge tomorrow.
New jackshaft is crazy$$ 219.61 from Partzilla. Damn

Check with Barn of Parts

Check with Barn of Parts
Most definitely. When it comes these older, but well maintained, machines, Travis is the first person I contact for used parts and everything I have gotten from him have been in really good shape so I will 2nd Yamajon.;)!

So I used a gauge today.
Hard because everything is aluminum and the magnet holder stand don't stick.
On brake side i only got .0005 difference.
On clutch side the best i could get was .002 difference.
So is that enough to give me my vibration?? Or not even close.

Thanks....

So I used a gauge today.
Hard because everything is aluminum and the magnet holder stand don't stick.
On brake side i only got .0005 difference.
On clutch side the best i could get was .002 difference.
So is that enough to give me my vibration?? Or not even close.

Thanks....
Yeah not even close,that's not your problem if you measured right that's as close as it would ever be.you can get a used shaft for about $60 but I don't foresee any better result by changing it.did this just start out of the blue or after you changed something etc

That's the other thing. I got the sled last summer and right away started tearing it apart and replacing stuff just because I like projects. So I don't know if it already did it before hand.
I guess I will take the chain out of the case and then run it.
That will eliminate the bottom half of the case and bearings ...etc.
Then it would only leave the secondary and top half bearings or jackshaft thats doing it.
I already replaced the back half of the secondary sheave because that appeared warped.
There is brand new bushings in the secondary and helix and also new helix ramp shoes.
All the bearings in the case and clutch side are new.
I had a brand new axle and drivers in it also and it vibrated.
There's also a brand new belt on it. So that aint it.

Going to call a friend and see if I can borrow his secondary for an hour.

I have seen warped brake rotor cause a lot of vibration so try leaving it off also

Took chain out of case and still vibrates.
Rotor is off also.
Get buddies secondary tomorrow and if still vibrates after trying his then only thing left is the jackshaft.

Back