• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Apex suspension for big guy

CoreySRX

Country
USA
Snowmobile
SRX
Apex
I’m in the market for an Apex after riding an SRX the past few years. I’m wondering with all of the different suspensions that came in the Apex models, which one worked best for the bigger riders? I’m 6’ 01” and 310 lbs. I was thinking the 2012 SE model with the Fox Floats was the direction I was going to head. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

You’re likely better off with an XTX to be honest. The CK suspension is the most “capable” to be bolted under the Apex.

You’re likely better off with an XTX to be honest. The CK suspension is the most “capable” to be bolted under the Apex.
Ok but I hear of people upgrading their XTX’s with the Star upgrade. What would that consist of?

the star kit is for lighter riders to take out the harshness because it is stiff if you are a light weight. I have an xtx and when I was 300# it didn't need a star kit it was just awesome with 4 position spring adjusters and over sized springs.

Thor is right on the money. I’m a light guy.....I needed the Star kit, a re valve, and Nytro springs to make the sled compliant enough for me. Now it works excellent.

Apex XTX is what you want.

I’m in the market for an Apex after riding an SRX the past few years. I’m wondering with all of the different suspensions that came in the Apex models, which one worked best for the bigger riders? I’m 6’ 01” and 310 lbs. I was thinking the 2012 SE model with the Fox Floats was the direction I was going to head. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
I have the 16 Apex xtx with the updated fox float shock with the adjusters for the ride, i'm 6' 6 300lbs and it rides nice with the new updated shock way better than the original fox float it came with, it was to harsh, so if your thinking of going with a 16 or newer Apex it will have the single shot suspension with the fox float, make sure the upgraded shock is on it for adjustability and way better ride.

an apex xtx will ride like a caddilac after the old srx. i lovedmy 2011 once i had it set. once the gf rode it, i had to go sled shopping for a new one for me. the 2016 rode fine until i got into the stutters with the stock shock. with the replacement one, the ride is vastly improved but i still need to fine tune it some.

XTX for me at 240lbs is about perfect. And that is coming from an SRX in the past, and HyGear upgraded Apex GT. The GT rode really well with HyGear's dual rate springs and valving for my weight. But the XTX stock is much better and the longer track bridges bumps so much better. It's not marketing hype, it's the real deal. I have not had a need to look at the star kit. I would guess anyone 200+ will be fine without it.

Good luck!

I am 230 without gear and my 15 XTX with the star kit is awesome. I ride on full soft setting all the time with no issue. The factory set up was ok but really bad in the stutter bumps. Transfer is improved also with the star set up.

Excellent insight that is very much appreciated. Thanks everyone. XTX seems to be the way to go. I mostly ride central Wisconsin with the occasional trip North.
I sure hope I’ll still be the first guy across the field!!! The SRX never let me down there. I’m sure I’ll still get the urge to rip the old girl once in a while. Lol

Nothing will ever replace the sound of the SRX triple/triple. I missed it at first, but learned to love all the things about the Apex that the SRX just didn't have. Let's just say it's more capable in more snow conditions.

on a flat groomer, the SRX was nearly unstoppable next to nearly anything.

But with an XTX, you will also get the benefits of power steering. (they were not available prior to 2011) And with a track/ski upgrade, is a monster in the deep snow as well. Nobody believes they float, but they do just fine!

Don’t worry about acceleration, with the 144 this thing hooks and will pull away from most sleds from a standing start, midrange and top end don’t disappoint either, you will surprise a few buddies. I recently did battle with a new SRX and he could not get by me for 600 feet, he has more power but can’t get it to hook.

if you have not rode an apex yet you wont believe the arm stretching endless pull these things have.

Excellent insight that is very much appreciated. Thanks everyone. XTX seems to be the way to go. I mostly ride central Wisconsin with the occasional trip North.
I sure hope I’ll still be the first guy across the field!!! The SRX never let me down there. I’m sure I’ll still get the urge to rip the old girl once in a while. Lol

The Apex XTX is faster because it has so much traction!
With the Apex XTX my back thanks me! I kept the Viper for local riding when the trails are smooth! You drive the Apex around the corners, but when I get the itch to steer with the throttle I jump on the good ole viper!

Back