• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best bang for buck

DeBo

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I have a 20 Sidewinder. Adding 4th wheel, Ice scrapers and some handguards.

Now onto performance. I see some kits over 2k. I'm trying to keep cost down on that end. What would you all recommend for an affordable performance upgrade? Hopefully improve mpg as well. Thanks

The 240 SS SM tune may be the best combination of improved performance , cost and mileage .
Only need weight changes , and possibly BOV , in addition to the flash .
No helix , or 3/4 bar upgrade .
I believe this to be correct .
Please correct me if I am wrong .

I found this upgrade to be very noticeable .

For this season I am considering going to the 270 SS SM flash , with what ever else needs to be added , but this is not a cost oriented desire .
Its a fun at a reasonable cost oriented decision !

Its also still a pump gas set up , that if you get some lower octane gas , either lay off the throttle a bit , or add some booster .

What would you run for a belt. Is the stock belt good enough? It seems it won't be and there are a lot to choose from.

What would you run for a belt. Is the stock belt good enough? It seems it won't be and there are a lot to choose from.
XS 825 formerly Carlistle now Timkin. I tested with belts on my ‘20 ltx last Saturday. Same spot back to back runs and here’s what I found. 8jp Yamaha belt ran 105, 106 and 106 mph at 9000-9150 rpm. Swapped to XS 825 and ran the same spot again, 106, 106 and 106 mph at 84-8500 rpm. Was interesting the belt slippage from 8jp. Clutch weight can be lightened up when run in XS to bring rpm up if desired. Also. My 850 doo buddies all switched to XS belts for their sleds and stopped blowing belts so they are a great product and I’ve ran them on my rx1, apex and now the winder. Great belt at a good price point

So are you getting the same performance with that belt at less rpms? Those numbers are a huge difference.

So are you getting the same performance with that belt at less rpms? Those numbers are a huge difference.
Agree. If that sled is like most 998s, at 8450 RPM compared to 9000-9150, the engine is down about 5-7 HP from its peak. So, if it ran the same 106 speed being down 5 HP, if you were to run the XS825 and re-clutch to get back up to 88-8900 where peak HP is, I would think you'd see higher speeds.

So you have your work cut out for you lol. I'm figuring I need a 4th wheel kit before I do anything as it will cause more slippage with the off center acceleration. There is so many to choose from on that.

The power stock is insane. Just to gain a few mph with clutching and a belt is nuts. I got the same sled as you. What are you going to put in it for a reflash?

Imo if you want a low cost performance upgrade do the 240ss stock muffler tune with a set of dalton weights and 3 bar

This flash will run 87 if needed and it's a "great set and forget it tune"

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards that. The extra power should I change the gears? Stock is 117 mph. So reflashing probably won't change top end.

Depends what model you have, but the 21/41 gearing that most Winders have will get you more than 117.
Also, are you talking 117 GPS or speedometer? There is a difference.
I recently GPS'd 124 mph on a 19 SRX with software only set at 260hp. The only clutch changes was adding weight to stock weights.

20 Ltx le. I personally haven't had a chance to open it up yet. That's what I here in post. I'm assuming gps

Turbo Dynamics Max Spool 16 stock muffler, you dont need 3 bar map just a clutch kit and a XS 825 belt and your sled will run real strong and be as quiet as stock.

Turbo Dynamics Max Spool 16 stock muffler, you dont need 3 bar map just a clutch kit and a XS 825 belt and your sled will run real strong and be as quiet as stock.
Same with hurricane the standard 240 is can run stock barr sensor but the 240 super spool requires 3 bar

$1000 gets you a lot! AND all you need without gas issues or worries.
225 to 240 Hurricane or Ecotrail maybe Powertrail Turbo Dynamics. Those are about $500ish.
BOV & some weights are another $500ish.
Hurricane alignment bar & you're all set.

On the lower tunes the stock belt is fine. Possible benefits on the XS belt, but you'd have to adjust for it.

The higher tunes bring on more $$$ and more issues like gas, clutching & 3-bar sensor.

Back