• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best belt for my sled ?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha XT SE
Need a spare ! Original belt is whatever comes on 2016 XT SE! Do I get the 8DN -17641-01-00 or the 8JP-17641-00-00 or Gates or other brand ? Do I need to do ANYTHING to just change belt ?
Also Anybody know where I can get JUST L BOLT for the VIP RMS easy belt remove tool, Can't get a hold of Rich , I think Rich motor sports ! My sled has it but tool kit was missing when I bought it !

For best all around performance and value go with the 8dn, you probably will need to shim the back of your secondary or get a belt adjuster from @thunderproducts, if you dont mind spending a bit more than get the gates carbon fiber 8dn length, it's my personal favorite.

For best all around performance and value go with the 8dn, you probably will need to shim the back of your secondary or get a belt adjuster from @thunderproducts, if you dont mind spending a bit more than get the gates carbon fiber 8dn length, it's my personal favorite.
I saw on eBay free shipping Gates I think ? $81.00 , do you know model of Gates, Thanks Mike

I saw on eBay free shipping Gates I think ? $81.00 , do you know model of Gates, Thanks Mike
I should have it memorized by now but I don't and won't be by my sled until Sunday or possibly next Sat but 40C4340 i believe
:home:

Last edited:
Look a little harder, I found them for under $60 and free shipping

I actually never ran the 8jp on mine from brand new because of all the complaints I read about. I only ran the 8dn with pretty good results and then I switched to the gates carbon fiber 8dn length and liked the responsiveness a lot. I turboed mine last year and was climbing quick to 8600-8800 rpms and then it would fall off 500-600 rpms and slowly start to climb up. After a lot of clutching I switched to the gates 8jp carbon fiber (40C4313) and wow what a difference. It seemed to really make it feel much snappier. In fact before I could feel when the turbo spooled up and with 8jp length it feels like it's instantly into the boost. I kind of wished I would have tried the 8jp length gates before boosting it. Either way I liked both gates carbon fiber belts but prefer the 8jp length. With either gates belt you will lose maybe 300 rpms because they are a bit tackier than the yamaha belt which will require some clutching.

Oh, I forgot. If you're switching between 8dn and 8jp lengths with either yamaha or gates you will need to adjust your secondary since the belts are different lengths.

I actually never ran the 8jp on mine from brand new because of all the complaints I read about. I only ran the 8dn with pretty good results and then I switched to the gates carbon fiber 8dn length and liked the responsiveness a lot. I turboed mine last year and was climbing quick to 8600-8800 rpms and then it would fall off 500-600 rpms and slowly start to climb up. After a lot of clutching I switched to the gates 8jp carbon fiber (40C4313) and wow what a difference. It seemed to really make it feel much snappier. In fact before I could feel when the turbo spooled up and with 8jp length it feels like it's instantly into the boost. I kind of wished I would have tried the 8jp length gates before boosting it. Either way I liked both gates carbon fiber belts but prefer the 8jp length. With either gates belt you will lose maybe 300 rpms because they are a bit tackier than the yamaha belt which will require some clutching.
I found similar results. 8DN good upgrade for NA motor. When I went turbo, I also got better performance going back to the 8JP length, but I have been using the Ultimax XS825 with very good results.

Wouldn't the softer 8JP/Gates belt wear quicker vs the OEM 8DN? The 8DN belt has proven itself over MANY years.

Wouldn't the softer 8JP/Gates belt wear quicker vs the OEM 8DN? The 8DN belt has proven itself over MANY years.
I’m at 1500 miles on my Gates 8JP length, looks great yet and just picked up a second to replace it and move it to the spare location.

Back