• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

best cheapest gps!

HABS 1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 apex gt,136 Hartman ext,dalton clutched,full excel exhaust,yamiheaters,cna pro ex white skis,hid lights,mtx riser,1.5 intense track,etc,etc!---2021 sidewinder xtx se
hey lookin for a gps to put on my sled , for ontario and michigan trails, i dont need the latest and greatest but would like to set destination and know where i am! i would only need to use it one or to times a season so dont want to spend crazy money on it! any suggestions? and price and where to get southern ont and mi trails loaded and price? any help would be great thanks

I suggest the one you already have, especially if you have a nuvi. I just mounted my old nuvi above the guages of my viper using the OSP bracket. Its in the perfect line of site so I can glance down at it while on the trail without having to stop. The Nuvi with VV mapping will allow you to route on the trails and give you accurate distance and turn by turn directions. I was a naysayer before believing in the old fashion map and trail number system, but its sure nice when you aren't quite sure where you are. It also allows me to see whats ahead of me so to speak. I have a general idea what the trail is going to do around the next bend. Is it going to be a sharp or shallow curve. How long is this straight away with the slight bend in the middle... Only problem is with trail re-routs. This year especially, the gps will take me the wrong way on trail re-routs since many of them were done at the last minute due to logging or swamps that didn't freeze.

cool thanks , ya i have great spot to mount above my gages using go pro mount! so u suggest the nuvi with vv mapping, i do want to be able to set trips etc and see milage etc like u were saying, how much r those and do i have to load maps into it?

ok vv mapping i checked out 40 bucks for michigan trails , i didnt see ontario trails? i just buy online and download in gps?i do have a nuvi now but will it work in cold or wet??!! ill check what model it is

You will have to purchase VV Mapping separately as it is a third party that turns snowmobile trails into rout-able highways on the GPS. Yes, you will have to load it on the GPS. I don't know how good it is for Canada, but Michigan maps are awesome!

The GPS itself can be cheep, especially if you get an older one off ebay or $500 for a newer one. I would like to replace my Nuvi from 2010 because the screen is too dim in bright sunlight. The new LCDs are brighter as technology advanced and work better... All depends on your budget and what you want...

I'd put it away if it were raining, but I use mine in the snow all the time. The heat from the engine does melt snow on the GPS and I've yet to have trouble. I wouldn't dunk it or leave it in rain.

ok thanks alot for the input so basically if mine has sd card it should work! just have to find ont ario trails! mabe a weather proof cover?

I'll chime in with a few thoughts......I have a Garmin nuvi LM55 that I bought this year for $130. I have it mounted to my handlebars with a Ram ball mount. I purchased a RiderMount case from England (no problems with payment or shipping) http://ridermount.com/shop/gps-mounts/sunshade-gps-case/5-sunshade-gps-case-with-ram-ball/

For how I wanted to mount it I couldn't find a case that would fit a 5" GPS and had a Ram ball already attached to it, until I found the RiderMount.

To keep the nuvi warm I purchased a 3W heater pad ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Doo-New...g-515176786-/322001036721?hash=item4af8c1e5b1)
and put the heater pad in between the foam spacers to keep everything warm. I also put a small bead of silicone around the screen and taped over any openings in the nuvi to help prevent moisture form getting in.

1500 miles so far and no problems at all. If the nuvi lasts 3 years I will be more than satisfied.

Forgot to add: I use VV Mapping for WI, MI and MN

20151226_083209.jpg
20151226_083139.jpg
20151226_083158.jpg

this is my gps i have is that the spit to put sd card? what size sd card would i need? and is it a micro or not? im not up to date with this stuff!

ya a heat pad good idea!

this is my gps i have is that the spit to put sd card? what size sd card would i need? and is it a micro or not? im not up to date with this stuff!

I THINK it's a regular size SD card...not 100% sure though. When you get the chip from VV Mapping they send you both the mini SD card and the adapter to go from mini to the regular size.

4SA - can you confirm?

oh ok! thanks gyes i went from thinking i was spending 4-5 hundred bucks on the cheap side down to like a hundred!! i guess my next step is to get ahold of vv mapping! so does each map be on a different sd card , like ontario on one mi on another kind of thing?

oh ok! thanks gyes i went from thinking i was spending 4-5 hundred bucks on the cheap side down to like a hundred!! i guess my next step is to get ahold of vv mapping! so does each map be on a different sd card , like ontario on one mi on another kind of thing?

MI, MN and WI are on one card. I do not know if he offers ON...or who might offer ON. Never had a reason to look but hope to one day! :)

You don't necessary need a SD card. You can install directly to on board memory. The only thing limiting you to how many maps you can have on a single Internal/External memory is the size of the maps and card. Every section of map you add will take more space. You could potentially put everything on one really big SD card, assuming the GPS will recognize an SD card of that particular size and the maps don't exceed the free space on said SD card. I have all of MI and WI VV maps in addition to MI TOPO, Michigan roads and Europe on my internal memory and a 4GB SD. I believe Europe is on internal and everything else is on the 4GB SD.

I've never had problems with cold, but I power my NUVI off the sled. The silicone is a great idea that I think I'm going to try myself...

Just a recommendation, try to mount your GPS as close to and above your gauges by your windshield as possible. While the handle bar is an easier install and looks clean, I found that looking down takes my eyes off the trail too long. I couldn't us my GPS in that location unless crawling or stopped. Having it up higher in your line of sight while driving makes it easy to glance on the fly. Just my .o2, nothing wrong with other options.

Back