• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best headlight solution - LED or HID

Hoosiersnow

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 cat 600 137
I have an 18 Cat but when I've searched for headlight improvements for the procross chassis, there seem to be a lot of discussions on here related to the Vipers. So, my Cat is an 18, which apparently has the newer headlight assembly but not LED lights. I bought it new this year and was surprised by how bad the headlight is - I'm not sure if it's just the aim or the amount of light. I'm going to buy the adjuster from yamaheater, but not sure if I should try the HID lights from there also or buy the LED assembly that is included on the higher end sleds. Just wondering if someone on here has an opinion on which would be best. Seems like it's not a good idea to drop LED's into the standard housing, as the reflectors aren't set up for those, so that's why I'm thinking either the HIDs in the housing I have, or buy the LED housing. I'm no expert on any of this, just trying to get better lighting. I really enjoy riding at night but was frustrated this season with the light these sleds put out.

I ran led drop in H4 's . Made big difference for the low investment of Amazon. Just sold them to buddy as I traded mine in.

Hid

Hid

Hid

Hid

LEDs are better than stock HIDs are significantly better than LEDs

Love my HID’s from Roc, one of the best investments made on this sled

Appreciate the input. I'm new at this but I was expecting the feedback to be that the updated LED housing they use on the higher-end procross sleds would be the way to go. Apparently the HID's are better :) The Rocktoys kit would be less than half the cost of buying the LED housing. I sent him an email with questions. I'm not opposed to trying LED bulbs either but I wouldn't even know where to start - trying to do this right.

Still surprised the headlight is as poor as it is - I came off an 06 Polaris. But apparently Doo's non-LED headlight isn't good either so it's not just the procross.

I have an 18 Cat but when I've searched for headlight improvements for the procross chassis, there seem to be a lot of discussions on here related to the Vipers. So, my Cat is an 18, which apparently has the newer headlight assembly but not LED lights. I bought it new this year and was surprised by how bad the headlight is - I'm not sure if it's just the aim or the amount of light. I'm going to buy the adjuster from yamaheater, but not sure if I should try the HID lights from there also or buy the LED assembly that is included on the higher end sleds. Just wondering if someone on here has an opinion on which would be best. Seems like it's not a good idea to drop LED's into the standard housing, as the reflectors aren't set up for those, so that's why I'm thinking either the HIDs in the housing I have, or buy the LED housing. I'm no expert on any of this, just trying to get better lighting. I really enjoy riding at night but was frustrated this season with the light these sleds put out.
I bought the HID from Rock and am very happy with them. I also get many positive comments about them. Rock is just about the best vendor you could find IMO, just excellent serice.

And that adjuster really makes a difference too. Once you find the sweet spot a little tweak as your riding is huge difference. Can get right at right level for snow dust or fog and if your sitting forward or back. Awesome tool!

I talked to Rock this week and he was extremely helpful. He sells both the LED's and the HID's. He highly recommended the HID's over the LED's but said I'd have improvement with either. I'm definitely going to buy the adjuster, just not sure yet which direction on the lights. He mentioned with the 2 stroke, you need to turn up the idle a bit to get the power needed for the HID's, so I'm little hesitant with that. I like the idea of the low current of the LED's, and I'm wondering why the manufacturers seem to be moving toward LED's as opposed to HID's. I know everyone on here is on a 4 stroke so the current issue might not be a factor. Appreciate the info on here - I've done some searching elsewhere and it seems people have had mixed luck with other lighting mods, but the kits from Rock seem to be very highly recommended.

I talked to Rock this week and he was extremely helpful. He sells both the LED's and the HID's. He highly recommended the HID's over the LED's but said I'd have improvement with either. I'm definitely going to buy the adjuster, just not sure yet which direction on the lights. He mentioned with the 2 stroke, you need to turn up the idle a bit to get the power needed for the HID's, so I'm little hesitant with that. I like the idea of the low current of the LED's, and I'm wondering why the manufacturers seem to be moving toward LED's as opposed to HID's. I know everyone on here is on a 4 stroke so the current issue might not be a factor. Appreciate the info on here - I've done some searching elsewhere and it seems people have had mixed luck with other lighting mods, but the kits from Rock seem to be very highly recommended.
Actually Lasers are what Highend Auto is going to but on sleds it's a cost thing I am sure along with many 2st not being capable of the HID.

LEDs have come along way, there are some that replicate the halogen filament placement quite well. Look for ones with a line of 3 or 4 "chips" in a row with a glare shield and AVOID the triangle ones that have chips on all 3 sides. I have a pair of good 20w ones that have good throw and are a bit brighter than stock halogens, the ISSUE is the headlight constantly gets froze over if your in snow dust at all, just not enough heat projected to keep the lenses clear. I've chosen to run the halogens and added an LED light bar instead, so I have extra light when I need it AND I don't piss off other trail riders at night. Way too many people out on the trails running "eBay special" bulbs that blind the heck out of you!

tenor.png

Had another follow-up question on these. I keep asking on this site because it seems there is better info on here. I know Rock's HID kits have been popular on the 4 stroke procross sleds on this site. Has anyone ran them on a 2 stroke? I was told by a couple different vendors that it's not a good idea to run with this Cat's stator (it may be that they are just pushing their LEDs). Rock said they will work, but I wanted to hear from someone who has used them with a 2 stroke. I'm kind of leaning towards buying the LEDs from Rock even though he recommends the HIDs, just because I'm a bit nervous about whether the HIDs will work with the 2 stroke electrical system.

Had another follow-up question on these. I keep asking on this site because it seems there is better info on here. I know Rock's HID kits have been popular on the 4 stroke procross sleds on this site. Has anyone ran them on a 2 stroke? I was told by a couple different vendors that it's not a good idea to run with this Cat's stator (it may be that they are just pushing their LEDs). Rock said they will work, but I wanted to hear from someone who has used them with a 2 stroke. I'm kind of leaning towards buying the LEDs from Rock even though he recommends the HIDs, just because I'm a bit nervous about whether the HIDs will work with the 2 stroke electrical system.
I would put 1000% faith in Rock the man knows his stuff!!

Back