• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best replacement header and why.

We have sold and installed a few of the ulmer headers on the 2011 and newer apex sleds and have had no issues with them and consider them the most viable replacement currently available. The issue i have seen with fixing the flanges on the 2011-2018 apex titanium pipes (the 2006-2010 style as well) is that they are also prone to cracking where they come together so fixing the flanges on them is sometimes just a temporary fix - I guess it really comes down to how permanent you want the fix to be and sometimes that is determined by how much longer you plan on keeping the sled vs the cost of repairing it.
Thank you. That is a very valid point. I am fairly certain this person plans to keep this sled for the known future as he just paid it off this spring and is looking forward to having no sled payment for awhile.

Exactly Port!. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. For ME , it was no question the way to go replacing the header. Hell, I didn't even do the work lol! My buddy Nick at Off Trail Repair had it changed next day for me. I'll likely never have to look at my exhaust again. Copper donuts and a robust design of the header with proper installation. No more itchy eyes and pounding headaches from breathing exhaust fumes. No more 6 ft flames coming out my muffler !

well you know I am a faithful customer Travis... so I will wait a bit for the solution but I need one by mid June any chance you will have one by then?

For sure going to be later in summer/fall til I'd have anything available.

Obviously a stainless header is the more durable than the Titanium, but even stainless exhausts will crack and fail in time. I can't keep good 06-10 apex mufflers in stock and they are stainless. The exhaust running through tunnel is a design that's just prone to failure in the long run regardless of what measures you go through. The values of 11+ tanked big time since sidewinder release, so I'm just trying to come up with a more budget friendly repair.

Obviously a stainless header is the more durable than the Titanium, but even stainless exhausts will crack and fail in time. I can't keep good 06-10 apex mufflers in stock and they are stainless. The exhaust running through tunnel is a design that's just prone to failure in the long run regardless of what measures you go through. The values of 11+ tanked big time since sidewinder release, so I'm just trying to come up with a more budget friendly repair.
I’m with you on budget friendly Apex repairs a buddy just bought a new 128 prestudded track from you for his SE put 1500 miles on it then his Exup header and stator went out at the same time and he was looking at almost $4k in dealer repairs on 2011 Apex with OEM parts and labor USD. He junked it with dealer just could not justify the repair. Crying shame!!!! Unfortunately got me thinking about my 2012 Xtx and looking for header solutions too as we all will cross that bridge sooner or later as miles add up on Exup sleds.

I agree but I have the ability to weld/repair stainless Titanium I do not. and if the SS header lasts another 11K miles we will be good with that. I will be ordering an Ulmer header through Port Yamaha as they shot me a fair price and we may as well just go new and be done with it. Thanks for the reply Travis. I'm certain I will be ordering more parts from you soon as you are the best at what you do Thanks for all you do for our sport!!

How did the braided replacement header connections work out?
They are not fitting well. They are supposed to slide into the header, but they are a bit to big, so I've had to grind them down. A little frustrating. The other end slides over easily, a little loose actually.
The end closest to the engine also needs to be cut shorter.
They are going to work, but they are not plug and play, so to speak.
I put the job on hold temporarily as I had some other stuff to finish first. Will update once more when I finish.

They are not fitting well. They are supposed to slide into the header, but they are a bit to big, so I've had to grind them down. A little frustrating. The other end slides over easily, a little loose actually.
The end closest to the engine also needs to be cut shorter.
They are going to work, but they are not plug and play, so to speak.
I put the job on hold temporarily as I had some other stuff to finish first. Will update once more when I finish.

Too bad.. You have guts to try them.. I would of passed.

Back