• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Between forward and reverse

vice108

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Was moving the sled around earlier and I must have hit the throttle an instant to soon after disengaging reverse and it made a horrible grinding sound before engaging forward. It seemed fine afterwards and goes into forward and reverse perfectly as it normally would. Should I be concerned that I damaged anything? I’ve certainly done that accidentally on my Apex in the past when the reverse gear wasn’t engaged just right and it never caused any permanent damage.

Gears didn't mesh properly. Your deflection may be too tight. When the deflection is set on the loose side it will bang into gear quickly and you will have no problems with it slipping out of gear on you.

Shut it off immediately if it ever does it again, as it burrs the teeth. Then re-start.
It can also be a sign that the top gear bushing is starting to wear.
I have also noticed that occasionally they will do this if you attempt to reverse the sled when the chaincase oil is very cold(the machine hasn't been driven forward yet).

Thanks for the responses. To clarify it hasn’t slipped out of gear. I accidentally gave it gas while it was switching into forward. It only has 400 miles ( thus me not being used to using this push button reverse yet) so I’m not worried about the dreaded gear bushing yet. Im Just trying to reassure myself that I likely didn’t destroy anything by making this mistake a single time. I sure won’t do it again! Lol

Just a heads up.. keep and eye on chain tension.. these sleds stretch chains fast when new..
Last season i checked my chain at first 800 km service and it was at 2 3/4 turns out, checked again at 3000ish km and it was at 3 1/4 turns out..
Before this season I put a new chain and gears and set it at 1 1/4 turns and after 1000km so far I just checked and chain tensioner was at 3 turns..

Just a heads up.. keep and eye on chain tension.. these sleds stretch chains fast when new..
Last season i checked my chain at first 800 km service and it was at 2 3/4 turns out, checked again at 3000ish km and it was at 3 1/4 turns out..
Before this season I put a new chain and gears and set it at 1 1/4 turns and after 1000km so far I just checked and chain tensioner was at 3 turns..
Some of that chain slack will be caused by the top bushing wearing.

So my brand new 2020 TCAT only has 120miles on it. When should I pull the muffler to check the chain tension? I have changed the bolts out since new and put Never Seize on them, so it would be easier, but still a pain!!! But if I can wait until 500 miles when I do my oil change that would make things easier or do I pull it now?

So my brand new 2020 TCAT only has 120miles on it. When should I pull the muffler to check the chain tension? I have changed the bolts out since new and put Never Seize on them, so it would be easier, but still a pain!!! But if I can wait until 500 miles when I do my oil change that would make things easier or do I pull it now?
I’m sure someone with more experience on this will give you a better answer..
Last year was my first year on a cat chassis so I can’t really answer this ? for you but what I found on mine was the chain stretched a lot, at first 800km service it was loose at around 2000 and at end of season at 3400 it was loose.

This year a switched gears/chain so I’m starting from the beginning again so I don’t really know when the chain stops stretching. I just checked mine again and at 1050 km’s this year my chain was at 3 1/4 turns out already.

You will be fine to wait till the first service unless you want to make sure how your dealer adjusted the chain if they even did it or not.

I noticed on mine when the reverse engagement gets loud that the chain has stretched and needs attention.

Also I’m pretty sure the manual says to check chain adjustment every 1000km and that will be my plan.

My 21 Yamaha manual says initial check at 300 miles and every 500 miles after.

I did everything at first oil change approx 600 miles. Assume you're not tuned yet? Much less stretch if not tuned. Add the rivnuts to side panel too then, makes all super easy.

Dan

I did everything at first oil change approx 600 miles. Assume you're not tuned yet? Much less stretch if not tuned. Add the rivnuts to side panel too then, makes all super easy.

Dan

If you have the rivnuts, can you possibly get it with the muffler on? I thought I remember seeing that in one of your videos. I put the rivnuts on mine but have never checked that myself as I usually pull the muffler for service anyway.

OP - I changed the track on my 2020 at 0km and made sure my chain was tensioned properly then. I then took it apart last spring with ~725km on it (crappy sled year as I had a new addition to the family) and it had loosened up but there wasn't a crazy amount to slack. You would probably be just fine waiting until the first service. When you take the chaincase apart the first time, it is worthwhile tacking the screws on the roller and sealing the sightglass. I did both when i did the track change.

If you have the rivnuts, can you possibly get it with the muffler on? I thought I remember seeing that in one of your videos. I put the rivnuts on mine but have never checked that myself as I usually pull the muffler for service anyway.

OP - I changed the track on my 2020 at 0km and made sure my chain was tensioned properly then. I then took it apart last spring with ~725km on it (crappy sled year as I had a new addition to the family) and it had loosened up but there wasn't a crazy amount to slack. You would probably be just fine waiting until the first service. When you take the chaincase apart the first time, it is worthwhile tacking the screws on the roller and sealing the sightglass. I did both when i did the track change.

No sight glass on the 21 and I believe the 20.