• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Big mods...big problems...

Thumperr

Hey guys...

I have (still) my 03 RX1 that I have spent a lot of time and money on. I have an X, Floats, USI's etc etc. I finally went to the motor and had Fix Powersports put it a torque monster kit...basically a full rebuild. Spent OVER $5K in mods alone. Anyway, got the sled back last November and ran it a few times against a slightly modded 03 F7...which it stayed with, but had no top end. Being somewhat disappointed in the performance of this "180hp" machine, I gave it another outing in Feb...it actually seemed slower. Then, in March 07, I took it out to the UP with a few guys and it was running great, but the top end wasn't there and there was a "once in a while" funky noise in the clutch. Oil and temps were good, so I figured a belt. Later in the day, doing 70 on the trail, the engine popped...and threw a piston rod...at least thats what it sounded like. THe engine turns over, but thats it...there is a heavy clanking inside, so I am going with a thrown rod.

Heres the question? The guys over at Fix told me that they would take care of me if I had any problems, now...since I haven't taken the sled there yet (summer is busy) they are saying they want to look at it.

Is this going to come out of my pocket? The sled only had 400 miles on the new motor rebuild when it went. Everyone is telling me there is no warranty etc and I am getting worried that I'll have a sled that will be worthless.

A...what do you think happened in the motor?

B...should Fix fix it for free?

Thanks!

I would ask them and explained what happened asap.I would have called them after the first time out.

When the motor blew, I only had 2 trips on it. I figured there was some break-in time so I didn't bother them with "it isn't fast enough etc"...in hindsight, I should have. The funny clutch noise didn't start until the UP trip and it was very sporadic.

What would cause the rod to throw?

It may have just spun a bearing or broke a piston.Usually when a rod goes it will poke a hole through the case which you would definitely see.I bet they will take care of you.Sounds like they are wanting you to bring it to them.That shows that they care which is more than a few builders do.

that thing should have run like a monster from the get go..

Take it to them ASAP... im sure they will do you right..

Question...is there someone locally in the TC area who would be able to tell me if I actually received the mods I paid for? Should I take it elsewhere for a teardown and see if I actually got $5k worth of motor?

Who would be a good person to see in the Twin Cities?

Thanks

Thumperr said:
Question...is there someone locally in the TC area who would be able to tell me if I actually received the mods I paid for? Should I take it elsewhere for a teardown and see if I actually got $5k worth of motor?

Who would be a good person to see in the Twin Cities?

Thanks

Why screw around.... just take it back to them... they are not a fly-by-night opperation...

without tearing it down, they wont be able to tell you if it has a big bore kit, and if you were to have someone else take it apart you can forget about getting them to fix it ..

YOu are procastinating. It should of been bacjk as soon as it borke. Whar are you waiting for, next years snowfall.

Sounds to me like there is more to the story than were being told, Who would spend 5 large on a motor blow it up and wait 5 months to say anything about it. If it was my shop your warranty would'nt be much good right about now. You better call them and really hope they take care of you.

It sucks you're having issues but waiting this long is not going to help anything. Did you call right away? Until you know what happened there's only speculation as to why it wasn't working. Get it back to them ASAP!!! March was A LONG time ago.

OK...I talked to Fix. They are telling me the motor cold seized...and I am not sure if this is right. The motor was running for a few hours when it went. Fix is saying that my $5k in mods, and the motor, are gone and there is nothing they can do.

Makes no sense to spend 5k to make more power, and not do the rods. My guess, more tourge more compression, more rod stress. Maxdlx

Back