• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Big venom rpm adjustment

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
Ok tired of searching, I have the big venom clutch kit with an EVO muffler and now installed a 1.5 storm track and I’m only pulling 8600 rpms. Looking to pull some weight off the tip, how much weight equates to a 100 or 200 rpms ? Unfortunately I don’t really have any place to test with no snow so my testing is my trail rides

Pull one gram of weight out of the tip on each weight and go rip it

Pulled of the thin washer on each tip, and switched my secondary spring from 3-3 to 6-1 on the advise from thunder products and got it up to 8800 rpms, but still only saw 80 mph which is the same as before weight removal. I know conditions are key but I can’t believe I lost 9 mph just because of track change

Turbo fixes everything, na I would get 88 one day and 102 the next, conditions dictate everything, 108 was personal best before turbo, now 116-118 is the norm, I've tried a few different clutch kits and back to back and the big venom is best all around imho.

I don’t think I’ve ever been over 89 mph. And I’ve had this clutch kit for at least 3 years

Top end is not my biggest goal, but I would like to see 90-95. More concerned about 0-75 mph

I thought i read on here that this clutch kit would make the n/a viper run 100+ mph. There sure seems to be a lot of these kits out there I wonder how many are seeing those speeds. I never bought into all the hype in these kits I personally think there are better ones out there.

Last edited:
My buddies 2015 viper runs 95 mph and we have the same clutch kit, just different muffler. Either there is something with the 16.5 motor which I have or I just have a dud of a motor

I would be willing to bet that the after market muffler has something to do with it.

I have a hard time believing an EVO muffler is slowing me down. Right now its the only thing keeping my rpms up. When I ran the stock can I couldn’t get rpms over 8600 rpms with 8jp belt, now running gates carbon 8jp size

I am by no means a clutch expert (I currently have my own clutch question going on in this forum), but I recently purchased a used 2014 viper LTX (bone stock except for 108 studs) and the Venom clutch kit (with the blue spring). I live on a lake and there was very little snow when I did some top speed testing. On ice I consistently and easily get to 102 MPH. The sled hovers around 9200RPM. We got 3 inches of powder last night and it was really tricky to get it to 90MPH as the track was loosing grip Max RPMs still ~9200 ( so conditions can wipe out 10-15mph on these sleds, but my RPMs were still there). For reference, I am using the stock weighting that TP provides with this kit. 2 glide washers in the primary spring and my blue secondary spring wrap is 3-3 as I like a smooth backshift (coasting). my belt is a new 8JP. the sled has 8500 miles and the original Ripsaw track. I also have dupont sliders (as I often ride in low snow).

As another reference, I marked my primary clutch with a sharpie to see how far it was shifting out. I still have another cm of clutch after those speeds and RPMs. I wonder if your're shifting all the way out in your primary into overdrive? You mentioned you replaced the track with a 1.5" lug track. Maybe that changes things in terms of rolling resistance. Have you tried running the track a little looser? I run mine to the point of ratcheting, then tighten just a wee bit.
Good luck!

Pulled of the thin washer on each tip, and switched my secondary spring from 3-3 to 6-1 on the advise from thunder products and got it up to 8800 rpms, but still only saw 80 mph which is the same as before weight removal. I know conditions are key but I can’t believe I lost 9 mph just because of track change

As all have said, conditions dictate a lot. I have the same TP clutch at 6-1 with an Ulmer Air Box Mod and Can. I run the gates carbon fiber belt since the 8JP is junk IMO and adds way too much variation with belt slip. I'm running a solid 92-95 on most hard pack snow. For me the key was really good belt deflection and I also mange low rpm engagement with the TP 911 cover and adjustment. (trying to get the most out of the belt travel and contact).

Make sure you don't have any spring binding or aluminum flashing interfering with clutch movement on the secondary.

Turbo fixes everything, na I would get 88 one day and 102 the next, conditions dictate everything, 108 was personal best before turbo, now 116-118 is the norm, I've tried a few different clutch kits and back to back and the big venom is best all around imho.

Which gearing did you change to?

Maybe it just conditions, and I have already ground down any flashing and no coil binding that I see

Which gearing did you change to?
That was with stock 24 50 but I'm machined for overdrive, Ive kept the same gears but switched to 7 tooth driver's now for the 2.25" pc track and I run out of gear at 98 mph, which is ok with me, the viper is for off trail now since i picked up a 19 sidewinder xtx le for trail duty.

Back