• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bills Center Spring, needed?

x2thez

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX
2009 Yamaha Vector LTX
1987 Yamaha Bravo
So I have read on here that alot of folks have Bill Mohrs center spring. I have his clutch kit and that has been great. It seems the consensus is that it takes some weight off the front end of the sled. I currently have AC skis with snowtrackers and I have no issues with it being difficult to steer. I have a 2014 LTX so I am not sure which spring I have, but is there any other benefit to the spring other than lighten up the steering?

Lifting front end at speed over big holes or moguls is why I run it. Last longer than stocker with less preload so easier on shock and skid.

I like what it did for my XTX, but that's going from a 110# to a 160#. It only took 3 turns from loose to lighten the front end instead of 8+ turns with the 110#. Your LTX has a 135#. I have 600 miles on the 160# and I'm still adjusting the skid looking for the sweet spot but its a lot closer to what I want than I ever got with the stock 110# Right now at a 30-40mph roll I can stab the throttle and lift the skis up a few inches to prepare for big hits, couldn't do that stock. I'd say try it, if you don't like it there are many other that will buy it off you!

What are the specs on this spring? ..........I am testing a two spring set up 110/300. . .. may try 140/300

Really ... thats interesting. What about for the 260-290 lb lads? Still working good ?

Really ... thats interesting. What about for the 260-290 lb lads? Still working good ?

I’m in that weight range and have the 160 spring on my XTX...worked well for me, lightened up the steering think I’m running 3 turns from loose. Found an Exit X1 rear shock for sale for a steal and jumped on it to replace my fox float...the front spring/Exit combo is like a new sled!! Next step is to get all shocks rebuilt and revolved for my weight (Exit is valved for 240) and should be even better. Coming from a Nytro XTX that had just about everything (Mountaintech front end, Star Suspension, OFT relocate...) to make it handle, I thought the stock Viper handled great at first but I was wrong...like I said it’s way better even with the wrong valving on shocks that need a rebuild.

Last edited:
I'm 260 and running the spring at 3 turns of preload. Working good so far. In fact, I'd like a touch more ski pressure so will probably back it off 1/2 turn or so.

I’m right up there in weigh too. I had it cranked up to 6 turns to start with as I figured my heavy arse would need it. It rode terrible and trenched awful in the powder. I backed it off and reset to 4 turns and it was a lot better. Still hit pretty hard on the small mogul bumps so I have backed it off another half turn. I haven’t ridden it since then yet. My rear shock is set to 115 psi. 2015 viper xtx. Front shocks I have at 60 or 65 psi. I’m looking for a longer shock for the front of the skid yet though. Would like to lighten up my steering a bit more

Back