• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Black/Orange. replacement recall

helix

Dalton Industries
TY Advertiser
Vendor
Website
www.daltonindustries.com
As the title says, we are going to re-call some springs.

We have had a some of our Dalton Black /Orange spring , part number DPSS-YBO break.

We have sold a lot of this spring. It certainly strikes us as odd to hear of it. There have not been a lot of them but ANY is not good. We recently heard of a guy who broke one and had his machine work terrible (of course) for a lot of miles to get back to his truck. We do not want to see it happen to someone else.

We had a couple report early in the season. We originally thought that it was something with the original prototype batch that must have a problem, however...we have some that have run a lot of miles ( since this time last season) on that same original batch. We thought it may be isolated. However, we have had a couple others come from a more recent batch lot.
...puzzling. This spring is essentially the same as our DPSS YMR (red) secondary spring, with tangs in location like a yamaha silver configuration...except that it is made from a little larger wire than that one. The YMR red spring...we have sold TONS over a lot of years . and in pretty large volume with the 180 viper turbo program....never ever heard of a broken spring.

We had sent two broken springs for analysis a while back. and some new ones to compare)

We ran out of these springs last week, and we had, of course another batch in the works but we just got this report back and have now halted it and have to rebuild it because we "found something".

The results of analysis showed that the broken spring had a "arc mark". Under magnification it showed that there was a slight little arc at the point of break. like a tiny spec of weld.
...as it turns out, we had a intermittent problem with the secondary finishing process this spring was sent out for. The coating on this one is different than traditional paint or powder coating we have used many time on many springs.
In the world of springs a popular new coating is called "E-Coat"...this coating is not just a static thing like powder coat...it is done in a wet tank of a special paint like formulation, and there is a current put through racks to positive charge and make the paint like stuff form. This a new to us product and there are great claims of corrosion resistance, less thickness build, attractive finish,etc.
On "some" of the springs, there was not proper racking ( part moved) and there was apparently a "arc" ...tiny as it may be, ...but it effects a Chrome/silicon wire form that has been processed like this, and makes a weak point.

As mentioned it is a small percentage, because there are lots out there with a lot of miles, but how do you determine that?.
It seems as if any that broke did it right away after installing, within 150 miles. There are also a lot of them running a long time.
We have no idea of how to predict it though.

We will recall the spring since we do not want someone else to have to ride out a poor working sled to get back to their truck and curse us when they get there.

We are going to replace them with a new run that has traditional finish. The only problem is that we are going to be a few weeks now to get them . We will do our best to get you info as we can. Sorry for the inconvenience. Even if yours has not broken , feel free to send it in for a free replacement. We are going to do the best we can to make it work out for you.

The DPSS-YBO is a black Yamaha secondary spring with tang hooks on each end and has orange dots in a line with the length of the spring. The rebuild version will be identified/marked in a slightly different manner but we will publish the difference at the time to show the new.

We cant replace right away ( because we do not have them ready), but in the mean time if you are still needing it or if you want to buy something else just send in the old one and we will refund or whatever suits you. It will be 3-5 weeks maybe before we have the replacement ones.

We have good demand for this spring from shops and individuals that have used it. We will be still producing this exact spring, just without the worry of a defect from a secondary process. We would rather replace than have it happen to anyone.

If you have any further questions please contact by email info@daltonindustries.com
We get in here sometimes but it is best to email since we can always answer from different locations and not always on the forum.

Thanks and sorry. Will do the best, quickest, that we can.

Last edited:

Well done. I guess it also shows us to take care of our springs. Even a nick in them could cause failure. I will have to look all mine over good and wrap in rags or something too.

Nice to see a company just say what the problem is and take care of it!! No BS story or hiding it. Good job!!

Well done. I guess it also shows us to take care of our springs. Even a nick in them could cause failure. I will have to look all mine over good and wrap in rags or something too.
yes, however, I have seen some badly beaten up springs come out of clutches over the years , they should be very durable.
This is actually kind of different. Electric arc on some that did not have good contact. Under magnification it looks like a spec or spot of weld spatter. The arc type thing is like a molecular disruption to a spring steel.

and thank you for the comments.
Wish we could have found out sooner, or wish we even knew how many it may be that are out there like this.
It just is what it is I guess.
We will do our very best to make it right as soon as possible. (which is already too late for lots of guys this season I guess)

As mentioned in the post, we can not replace them right away, so if you want a replacement just send it in and we will put you on a list and sens as soon as we can do so.

you can mail to:

Dalton Industries Ltd.
355 Vimy Rd
Truro, NS
Canada
B2N4K2

please include a note with contact details, thank you

Last edited:
Great to see a company who cares about their customers! Good work.
Did you run the one I sold you? I put 300 miles on it and it seemed fine as far as manufacturing. It did not work for my set up, but still liked what i saw as far as springs go. this sounds crazy and means nothing to some but.. the first thing i like to do is roll it on a FLAT surface and see if it rolls consistent... And if it wobbles and rolls weird its usually junk.. That one was very good IMO

Will you refund cost of shipping too?

Man is that accountability with a complete "no BS" explanation with no side stepping. I'm going straight to your website to familiarize myself with your company's offerings.

Did you run the one I sold you? I put 300 miles on it and it seemed fine as far as manufacturing. It did not work for my set up, but still liked what i saw as far as springs go. this sounds crazy and means nothing to some but.. the first thing i like to do is roll it on a FLAT surface and see if it rolls consistent... And if it wobbles and rolls weird its usually junk.. That one was very good IMO

Haven’t put enough miles on to give it a fair assessment. Got out around home 1 time in terrible conditions so hard to say if it’s better, worse, or the same.

Great reputable company. Being in business myself this is very important to me. I will definitely be using Dalton products to tune my clutches when I flash it.

I had mine break early in first couple hundred miles. It was over the Xmas holidays and even though dalton was closed I was shipped a new one out next day! Now that’s customer service. Happy to report almost 3000 miles on new spring and works great!

Interested to know this too.
this would be abnormal for any company to do. I would be surprised if they did. Considering they will replace for free no questions asked knowing that most of them are perfectly fine should be more than enough. The spring weighs next to nothing so sending it back to them should not cost much.

Back