• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Black River Falls WI Trails open!

rattler

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 fx nytro xtx
I spoke to a Jackson Co Forestry And Parks representative yesterday and I was informed that the ATV trails in Black River Falls WI re-opened yesterday, June 25th. :D

I will be heading up there on wednesday.

The Rattler

I just returned from Black River Falls, WI and the trails were in great condition. There were quite a few washed out areas that were repaired so there was very little standing water on the trail. The trail had been groomed earlier in the week and it was pretty smooth, but I am sure that will not last judging by how many ATV'S I saw heading north.

I was disapointed to find out that you can no longer complete the loop from Black River Falls to Millston. :( The trail west of I-94 now dead ends about 1 mile north of Millston. I am not sure of the reason why this section is closed. You can still reach Millston from the trail that runs east of I-94.

A great place to ride if you like sand!

The Rattler

Rattler's right, great place to ride if you like sand. This is Dirt Bike and Sport Quad territory but you'll still see plenty of lumbering Grizzlys and the like.

I picked these trails to take my family as my 16 year old son Tony really doesn't have much riding experience so I figured this would be a nice place for him to learn. He did a lot of learning this weekend....

Mom and I loaded up on Friday morning, the two boys met us up there after 19 year old Nick got off work. I had some concerns that the Grizzlys wouldn't fit side by side on the trailer but everything worked out fine.

Attachments

• Devils-n-Bugs.jpg
    Devils-n-Bugs.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Get-a-Loada-This.jpg
    Get-a-Loada-This.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 331
Donna and I took the opportunity to ride that evening to check out the trails and found them to be dry, smooth and fast.

We also noticed what looked like mile markers every half mile and later found out in the local newspaper that these were used for resuce to fetch injured riders off the trail.

Good thing we noticed as we needed this information later....

Attachments

• Sweet-Trails.jpg
    Sweet-Trails.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 336
  • Emergency-marker.jpg
    Emergency-marker.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 338
Saturday morning started out a bit slow as we found a young man stranded along the trail with a broken dirt bike. His chain had broken and was jammed up in the front sprocket. He wasn't going to be going anywhere under power any time soon. He wanted to walk back to town but I wouldn't hear of it. Having forgotten to pack a tow rope, I fashioned one of of duct tape and towed him back to town. I sent Tony and Donna off to keep riding while Nick and I took care of the young lad.

Attachments

• Duct-Tape-Rope.jpg
    Duct-Tape-Rope.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 335
We started back out , feeling good that we had helped another rider and really enjoyed the trails. Tony was becoming more confident and now running about 30 to 35 mph on his Kodiak.

That is until we found the only mud hole in the whole trail system. :o|

I was riding drag, following right behind him as Nick and Donna rode ahead. Tony hit the mud hole, the mud caught his machine throwing it sideways and caused him to smash head on into a tree.

It wasn't a pretty picture watching Tony get slammed up against the tree like a rag doll then finding him all twisted up on the ground. I noticed his right leg was wet and got real concernd until I noticed the cooler tied to the front rack of his machine all smashed and leaking.

He complained loudly about his right leg and while it didn't look real bad to me I've already had too many "Oh, you're not hurt" experiences with these two in the past only to find they had broken bones and Dad's the real dummy. I got some sweatshirts out of the box to make him comfortable and get him calmed down.

I had noticed the last emergency trail number was 94 16.5 so I tried to dial out on the cell phone but got no signal. By this time Mom and Nick returned so I sent Mom off to find a signal and get some help. (Mom is not a real calming person in times like this so I needed her to be away from the scene.)

It was amazing how fast the DNR and Sheriff responded, they thanked me for knowing how to use the emergency trail markers and I admitted that I wouldn't have known if not for the newspaper article.

The sand was real soft so they had to use a Kawasaki Mule to bring Tony out of the woods. Brother Nick, ever the comedian told Tony they were bringing an #*$&@ to haul his #*$&@ away.

We loaded the Kodiak into the DNR truck then rode the other three machines to the nearest parking area. The DNR lady was really cool and gave me a ride back to the trailer at the motel with the Kodiak so I could fetch the other three machines while Nick and Donna rode with the Sheriff to the hospital.

It turns out Tony was banged up pretty bad, no broken bones, nothing some advil and a few good sessions in the hot tub wouldn't help.

With Mom and Tony comfortable at the motel, Nick and I picked up where we left off and kicked some #*$&@ on the trails. Actually, he kicked #*$&@ on the Raptor while I rode the Grizzly standing up with the throttle taped to the bar and no hope of keeping up.

Lot's of fun, lots of stories and nobody got hurt too badly. Tony says he'll ride again as soon as we put the Kodiak back together. Looks like Kevin's going to get some more business. :?

Attachments

• Krashed-Kodiak.jpg
    Krashed-Kodiak.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Tony-n-Mom.jpg
    Tony-n-Mom.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 318
Great trails and if they are flat, you can flat out haul a**. Great time. That sucks you can't complete the loop though, but that always seemed to be the problem for some reason. Still a great place to ride in the area!!

Back