• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boondockers Phazer Turbo Questions

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
Are there any members here that have, or have had a Phazer with the Boondockers kit? I might be picking up an MTX with one today, and I can't seem to find any information on that kit since they only made 100 of them. Even Boondockers didnt respond to my request for info. Just wondering about common issues, things to look out for, if anyone has owners manuals or instructions, etc.

@mysledblows gave me some interesting stuff to chew on:

Our biggest issue has been with the way the manifold runs under the tank and over the reverse actuator. Working it hard on a warm day and we melted the reverse actuator to the point where the sled didn't know if it was in forward or reverse. Was an interesting 15 mile ride home as it kept trying to switch between them. Also melted a whole through the 1st layer of the tank. Otherwise just some minor things. I run a head shim, keep it at about 7 pounds and cut a little race fuel just to be safe. It's a lot of fun

Anyone else have experience with it?

Well, I got it! :Rockon:

@myseldblows, does yours still have a radiator? This one no longer has one at all, but the PO added a second heat exchanger in the front tunnel opening.

There are a few things that seem off about this sled. I'm okay with that, it was the right price and I knew it was going to be a project. However, I have so many questions. I wish I could get my hands on a owners manual or even installation instructions for this kit to see what it is supposed to be like.

There is no radiator at all, only an extra exchanger semi-fab'ed into place over the tunnel opening. The battery bracket seems to have been cut off, and the PO just zip-tied the battery back under the seat. I cant imagine that the kit called for completely nixing the radiator? Did it call for a battery relocation?

batt.png
exchanger.png

I'm 99% sure I don't have the radiator in mine. Battery is in the stock location. I too have a big heat exchanger in the tunnel. The install on mine is similar to yours but maybe a little cleaner. I haven't had the tank off it in a couple years now so my memory is a little foggy. The tinfoil on everything looks familiar. I'll try and dig through my books tomorrow and see if I have any stuff from boondocker on it.

Actually now that I look at it again is that exchanger just laying on top of the tunnel?

Thanks for the info!

Good to know on the battery. I can get another battery holder and put it back to the stock location.

Yeah, that exchanger is literally just laying on the tunnel. Moving it too much causes leaks from the eleventy billon hose clamps and connections. Its kind of a mess under there.

I am also pretty sure this thing has the stock head gasket? The one that is in there looks identical to the one in my other phazer. I took a pic of both

Attachments

• hg1.png
    hg1.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 141
  • hg2.png
    hg2.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 113
@myseldblows, you mentioned you melted the reverse actuator once.

Working it hard on a warm day and we melted the reverse actuator to the point where the sled didn't know if it was in forward or reverse. Was an interesting 15 mile ride home as it kept trying to switch between them.

This one has an issue, where the green drive light goes out, and the rev limiter kicks in around 3K. I cant see any physical damage or melting. Is the fix just replacing the servo, or did the internals get messed up too? What did you do to keep it from happening in the future?

Mine was a mangled pile of melted plastic but it would still rev it just wouldn't go anywhere. My drive light would go out as well. Sometimes it would go into reverse sometimes not. Usually if we shut it off and cleared the codes it would kick back in and we'd limp it along till it would pop out of gear again. We just replaced the plastic servo. The actual internals were fine. As for a fix - I took the manifold off and started grinding and welding to get a little more clearance. Then wrapped it good with header tape although if I did it again I'd probably ceramic it and then wrap it. I think I also wrapped the servo in tin foil. Added some vents and so far so good. On the day we cooked ours the snow was deep and it was about 50 out so it was warm and she was working hard.

Yeah, this one appears fine, its not a melted mess so that makes me wonder if it is even the issue.

I ordered a 50' roll of heat wrap and some stainless bands to try and clean it all up in there. Question? Can you pull the manifold without too much trouble? just unbolt from the head, unbolt from the turbo, and slide it out?

Mine has a slip fit so once it's free of the head it just pulled apart from the pipe on the turbo.

ahh. so I dont even need to remove it from the turbo? that makes it so much easier! I didnt realize it was two pieces because there is so much heat wrap everywhere.

@mysledblows How big is the cooler you put in yours? Any issues with overheating? Kinda wondering if I should just do a larger cooler as long as I am at at?

It's about 42" long. Basically runs the whole length of the tunnel. Never had an overheat issue with it and we ran it in some pretty slim snow conditions last winter.

ahh crap. This one is like 16" long. Seems like its not enough for a turbo with no radiator. The PO said overheating wasnt an issue that dropping into some snow couldnt take care of, but if I am going to go through the trouble of installing it permanently, I might as well go for something bigger.

I found a few 99-03 summit coolers on ebay for decent prices, Im just waiting on someone to give me the dimensions of them to make sure they fit.

Back