• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boost additives

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
Novice question here. Does adding a boost additive, like royal purple, or boostane, or Lucas oil provide any knock benefit like in auto engines. It seems if they do, it would be a no brainer to take 4 to 5 little 2.5 oz. bottles and add at each fill up. Even if you jump a few levels from. 87 to 90 octane it would be worth it or am I completely off?

Like Dave said, Torco is the only real booster. Problem is you need a half a bottle to go from 87 to 91 and I wouldn't run a flashed sled hard on it like that. It would get you to the next station safely though. If you are stock there is no need supposedly.

I used it all the time with my boosted viper when I couldn't get 91 on the trail. One of the big reasons I switched to the SW was not having to worry about it any more.

TD claims that even at 270 HP one of there customers ran 87 hard through deep snow for a tank with no issues. Once again, not recommended but apparently possible.

The problem with any of these additives is how do you really know if your fuel is safe? The problem with any tune that absolutely needs 91 is how confident are we that the fuel we are buying is really 91? I know when we go touring we sometimes end up out in some desolate area and who knows what the quality is. That's why these tunes need a knock sensor or some type of protection.

XP123 is right. Hence my question. MOst of the time we are pulling into a road side station with branded 91 plus fuel. I guess my goal here is not to add booster to go and hammer down. It is to help in the instance your in the bush and may get 87 or above ground tank fuel. My hope is to be able to cruise back easy knowing the booster is helping somewhat. That's all.

The problem with any of these additives is how do you really know if your fuel is safe? The problem with any tune that absolutely needs 91 is how confident are we that the fuel we are buying is really 91? I know when we go touring we sometimes end up out in some desolate area and who knows what the quality is. That's why these tunes need a knock sensor or some type of protection.
Joe....

On my cat with TD 4 stage, I could run my local 91 on stage 2 with no knock lite on long radar hauls(over a mile) safely....But when I wick'd up the rotary dial to stage 3(19lbs) the knock lite would start to flick on , doing that same mile radar run, about 1/4 mile into it.....so I had to pull out. The knock lite is the real deal when it comes to detecting bad fuel.

So, I often had a bottle of lucas(not as good as torco but it does work ok and cheaper) and would toss in half a bottle of lucas(8oz) and would get Sunoco 94 in town(no longer avail up north) and then I could run that same radar track with NO knock lite at all in same 1 miles distance at 19lbs boost. It was an animal at stage3. If I turned rotary dial to stage 4, the light would come on after about 3 seconds of WOT..LOL. So the knock protection, once setup is very slick in telling you how good your fuel is!

That all being said, I could run ANY map down the trail anytime....the knock on those 4 stages of maps only occured once holding it WOT. So anytime you guys get bad fuel, or think you did. Just take it easy on trail ride home, you can still boogey but dont HOLD IT too long, and if we get a good working knock lite, you will see how great it is at telling you about the fuel you just got!

Ben pioneered the TD knock lite, and I sorta took it for granted on the 1100s, but last yr without one, it was always in back of my mind, how decent is this fuel in this tank.

Dan

the good news is this motor is way less sensitive and less prone to knock...3 cylinders compared to 2 ..... higher revving provides more cooling cycles and a much more efficient intercooler...

Back