• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BOOST IT VIPER VS MCX VIPER

What I would be hoping for is to run stock timing , no headshim, ARP studs at 12 psi boost with a boost it kit which has a water to air intercooler with 104 to 108 octane. It would be great if that combination would work with the header and the reflash. Again the reflash and header for first season on stock viper then Boost It the next season.

Well my 14 has low comp. pistons, arp studs and carrillo rods and we are pushing that one to 20#'s of boost on 104 octane with stock timing. My 15 we are sending the ECU to EVO for a flash so I can run 8#'s on 91 and 12#'s on a blend of pump and race gas with no upgrade in pistons or shim. we are pulling timing and raising the rev limiter.

What I would be hoping for is to run stock timing , no headshim, ARP studs at 12 psi boost with a boost it kit which has a water to air intercooler with 104 to 108 octane. It would be great if that combination would work with the header and the reflash. Again the reflash and header for first season on stock viper then Boost It the next season.

If nothing else, give Jim a call at EVO. Tell him what you want... He will set you up!

Well my 14 has low comp. pistons, arp studs and carrillo rods and we are pushing that one to 20#'s of boost on 104 octane with stock timing. My 15 we are sending the ECU to EVO for a flash so I can run 8#'s on 91 and 12#'s on a blend of pump and race gas with no upgrade in pistons or shim. we are pulling timing and raising the rev limiter.
Hurricanes 240 kit runs 10 pounds on 87 octane with bigger injectors and headshim.timing is changed also.

Big thing is the lag! the low boost it kit has killer throttle response! along with the mpi and mcx. mpi comes up the quickest with the smaller 15g turbo vs garrett and large 19t!

240 Hurricane kit does NOT reduce timing and requires 91 octane minimum

This Hurricane Viper 240hp turbo kit is designed to boost a modified Viper engine to 240hp using 91 octane pump gas. Your Hurricane Viper 240hp turbo kit has also been mapped with the Powercommander V to manage the AF to be at 10.5-11.2 @WOT. You can expect the engine to run under leaner conditions with part thottle and less boost respectively

From the manual there is no spark controller, Dave didn't think the reliability of powercomander spark controller was worth the effort.

240 Hurricane kit does NOT reduce timing and requires 91 octane minimum
The cam timing is changed with a cam timing jig.the kit can be ran with 87 octane. A/F are at 10.8 Dave runs them at this a/f the keep the cylinders cool.the nytro motor are known to blow out between the middle cylinders.bigger injectors are used to supply the fuel.

Last edited:
cam timing and ignition timing is two different things.....Clutchmaster speaks of ignition timing.

Yes they do blow out the block between the cylinders - mine did it with a stage 1 MPI back in 14. we were not sure if it was the injectors or the limitations of the injectors and the stock fuel pump. Today more is known on these sleds. I am now running 8#'s on a stock motor with no shim and 91 octane and 10.5#'s on 110 with an EVO flash that pulls timing at wot, upgraded fuel pump and 4th injector in the intercooler. at 8#'s it has more hp than the 14 did at 12 with low comp pistons.

Back from the dead. I had an accident that prevented me from riding the last 3 years. Yamadog, how has your viper experience been with the evo reflash ?

Back from the dead. I had an accident that prevented me from riding the last 3 years. Yamadog, how has your viper experience been with the evo reflash ?

Well Prince first of all it is good to hear your back from the dead....any new albums in the works? Sorry to hear about the 3 year loss but really around here we did not even count last winter as a winter! I usually average 5000 or more miles a year. last year barely made 1000. turns out the last ride of the prior season i popped a small hole in the head gasket running from the middle cylinder to a water jacket line. It took most of what little season we had to diagnose it then wait to have the thing torn down all the parts inspected. Arp studs and new head gasket installed.

I can say the last 2 rides of the season were phenomenal and this thing on high boost (264hp) is unbelievable. The first ride after the repairs was a struggle to find a mix of race and pump gas that she liked. Straight 110 at WOT would stand it on end but mid throttle cruising would cause a definite miss and backfire when snapping to full throttle. I ended up having to pump the tank 3 times and re-mixing to keep it straight, what would work and i have settled on 60% race gas to 40% 91.

I believe that the evo flash has something to do with that. It pulls so much timing at wot that was fine but at mid throttle that the slower burning 110 was not igniting till after top dead center. Anyhow I ended the year on a positive note with everything figured out and running wicked fast. Other than the head gasket i have about 2000 miles on it now with about 1/2 at high boost and the other at 7.5 lbs and it seems to be working just fine. And the stock motor with no shim is much snappier than the 14 was with low compression pistons and 4 more #'s of boost

I did get in 2 lake races against supposed 320+ hp 14 and 15 D&D turbo cat 1100's and let them read the Yamaha on my snow flap. My biggest failure was to not find a single new Winder or Catmaha to get a baseline on how they are running compared to the Viper.

Next Season will be here before we know it and maybe if the moon and stars align I will get the 14 back from Allen Ulmer and then really go on the hunt! If your not familiar he has had my 14 for 2 years building me a drag sled out of it but seems to have either lost interest or blew it up and does not want to tell me. The last dyno pull put it near the 360 hp mark. with stutter and a Hole shot blaster (pneumatic clutch lock like trans brake on drag cars) it should be able to dislocate my shoulders on launch :sled1:

This is the hole shot blaster stutter will take me to 3900 rpms and hold me there to build boost and then this can be adjusted to any rpm higher than that to release the primary. Should be leaving the line at almost 300 hp.

Hole shoot blaster.jpg

Lol no new releases yet. Good to hear other than head gasket problem and bad snow year. I did the same thing with my RX1 when I shimmed the head. Gasket lasted 2 rides. I resealed and torqued arp studs to Jannety specs and has been good for 10 years now. 360 hp would pull the pimples out of a teenagers face ! EVO seem to really know there stuff, I bought a maverick xds turbo and would like to reflash it as well.

Back