• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boosted 2014 Viper Clutching Questions

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Boost - It Viper
I have a 2014 Boost it turbo viper, that is a belt eater. Low boost kit 190 - 200 hp kit. Mbrp header, 174 X 3" track. Racers edge rear suspension. Ride 6 - 9000' elevation in the mountains. Trying to figure out the clutching. Primary has dalton QAY-70 arms loaded to 74 grams with a blue brown blue primary spring, stock factory rollers. Secondary has a dalton 47 helix with I believe it is the purple epi spring wrap at 0 and 2. No binding wear marks on the springs.
Was running the 8JP belt but getting lots of dust and blowing a belt pretty much every weekend out in the mountains. Now running the 8DN belt. Still breaking those. Not as bad as the 8JP. Now trying a Dayco XTX 5058. I noticed the 5058 belt want to squeal when the machine is at a stand still idling.

I have a 2014 Boost it turbo viper, that is a belt eater. Low boost kit 190 - 200 hp kit. Mbrp header, 174 X 3" track. Racers edge rear suspension. Ride 6 - 9000' elevation in the mountains. Trying to figure out the clutching. Primary has dalton QAY-70 arms loaded to 74 grams with a blue brown blue primary spring, stock factory rollers. Secondary has a dalton 47 helix with I believe it is the purple epi spring wrap at 0 and 2. No binding wear marks on the springs.
Was running the 8JP belt but getting lots of dust and blowing a belt pretty much every weekend out in the mountains. Now running the 8DN belt. Still breaking those. Not as bad as the 8JP. Now trying a Dayco XTX 5058. I noticed the 5058 belt want to squeal when the machine is at a stand still idling.

Sounds like you have an alignment problem. Contact Tim or Terry from @Thunder Products

I have boosted viper MPI kit on an MTX 162 and I still have the “Low” 8kg00 secondary have a stiff green green green secondary spring and to stay off rev I had to add a lot of wait I am up to 86g at 1500 feet which seems like a lot! And someone told me to get a new secondary helix? Do you think this would make a big improvement or is extra weight okay? I still have 8jp belt

I have boosted viper MPI kit on an MTX 162 and I still have the “Low” 8kg00 secondary have a stiff green green green secondary spring and to stay off rev I had to add a lot of wait I am up to 86g at 1500 feet which seems like a lot! And someone told me to get a new secondary helix? Do you think this would make a big improvement or is extra weight okay? I still have 8jp belt

Contact Tim or Terry from @Thunder Products

First, 20 degrees on the secondary isnt nearly enough for what you need. The wrap on the secondary, as well as spring rate and helix angle all change belt squeeze. At 20 degrees, especially with a 47 degree helix, you dont have any belt pressure.

A 47 degree helix seems steep to me for what you a trying to do. A steeper helix will increase upshift speeds, but will decrease backshift speeds and lower belt squeeze. This will cause a tremendous amput of belt slip, especially when getting off and then back onto the throttle.

I would highly suggest starting with a 70 degree wrap on the secondary.

EPI doesn't list a purple for our sleds. If your secondary has a purple in it, they list it for the four cylinder sleds. It seems stiff but they don't list a torsional load.

Having to add that much weight, you are leaving a lot on the table. The green-green-green is the stock mtx primary spring. Should have a Pink secondary spring ( i think they change them to purple on the low elevation kits) The stock 37 degree helix doesn't work very well at low altitude or higher horsepower machines. You need to load the engine harder. I would suggest a new helix and secondary spring. I use Dalton industries but like said above, I've heard nothing bad about thunder products.

Mr Nelson your completely wrong my Viper is wrapped at 10 degrees you need to know all the components before you try and give info. There is a purple secondary spring that will work on a Viper and probably about 100 more. How do you know it's in his clutching sounds like an alignment issue to me.

Mr Nelson your completely wrong my Viper is wrapped at 10 degrees you need to know all the components before you try and give info. There is a purple secondary spring that will work on a Viper and probably about 100 more. How do you know it's in his clutching sounds like an alignment issue to me.

I do not know its his clutching, just like you dont know its an alignment issue. I explained everything i said. I have clutched more than a couple of these sleds, and will confidently stand behind what i said. If all he has to do it increase belt squeeze by increasing the torsional load, and it fixes his problem, why not try it?

He gave me all the components. He stated his primary spring, roller size, helix, secondary winding, the secondary spring he believes he has, his elevation, his track size, sled mods, and the belt he is running. I will without a doubt say a 47 degree helix with 20 degrees of winding, powered by 200 hp with a 174, is not backshifting properly. Belt squeeze is light, no doubt.

Really how can you tell him what his wrap should be on the secondary if you don't even know what spring he has. I don't see anywhere where his RPM'S are listed. I'm not by no means doubting your clutching know how but I need a lot more input on thing's before I go giving anyone advise. To each there own.

Really how can you tell him what his wrap should be on the secondary if you don't even know what spring he has. I don't see anywhere where his RPM'S are at. I'm not by no means doubting your clutching know how but I need a lot more input on thing's before I go giving anyone advise.

The fact you just related the torsional load, to his rpms, shows me something. You should never dial rpms with the secondary, and it doesn't appear you know that.

How can you tell him his clutch is out of alignment without being there with an alignment tool?

It is apparent you have became defensive over my recommendations toward the original poster and have decided to become argumentative, for no reason at all. You have decided everything i say is wrong, then state i don't have all the information, while simultaneously stating its an alignment issue that you have not witnessed.

The only thing I said you were wrong about was the 20 deg wrap on the secondary that will work with the right spring. I'm only courious how you came up with all these recommendations with out knowing what parts your dealing with that's all.

The only thing I said you were wrong about was the 20 deg wrap on the secondary that will work with the right spring. I'm only courious how you came up with all these recommendations with out knowing what parts your dealing with that's all.
He told me he had an epi purple. Went off those rates.
Read through the clutching thread and let me know how many people are running a 10 degree wind. What is your clutch set up where you have 10 degrees of tension?

Every issue the original poster brought up can be explained by improper clutching, causing extreme heat and belt dust. I explained this potential lack of belt squeeze in my first post. I literally explained cause and effect, as well as my reasoning for my SUGGESTIONS in the first post.

I sincerely hope everyone in this forum isn’t as big of a joke as you.

Running a complete Hurrican kit but they probably don't know what there there doing either. Maybe you should re read what he said (i believe it's a epi purple).This guy doesn't even no what he has for clutching and your trying to give him directions on what to do. Oh well I guess you might be that good.

If you have never heard of anyone running at 10 or 20 degrees tell's me how much you really know. I'm done no more arguing Peace out and have a Merry Christmas.

Back