• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brand new hyfax -0 miles-

WANN4STROKE

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Viking
2006 ApxMtn-sold
2001 MtnMax-sold
1998 VMAX 500-totalled
wore to the line on 1 side on a 200 mile ride. Other side a little less. Riding in 8 inches of fresh snow for most of the ride. Always had powder.

Is it not adjusted right side to side because of imbalance of wear? Is my track to tight or to loose?

Thxs.

David

Same thing happened to me with the stock sliders. Installed Hyperfax sliders, removed the bogies and haven't had any issues in 2 years and I do lots of flat land riding. I also installed a set of scratchers.

Get the skid up and see how much droop you have in your track also check how the clips set on the hi fax they shouldn't be rubbing on sides.

You could always measure the distance from the outside of the slides to the knobs on the track, on both sides of your sled and make adjust it as necessary to make sure they are as equal as possible.

How much droop should I have?

got it done!

I can stick 3 fingers between the track and the slide about in the middle. doesn't ratchet and im running scratchers, this combo has got me 1700 miles on the hi fax and still going strong. another way to make sure track is centered measure distance on each side by the back wheels.

Just thought I would share, had a new set of stock yamaha hyfax installed on my 06 Apex Mountain Friday, rode 90 - 100 miles up river (2 - 3 inches of groomed snow) and ducked into 5 - 6" of pack powerder every few miles. Got back, total of around 200 miles and I had burned all the way through the right side for about 6 - 8 inches of exposed rail on the downside, and the left side was within mm of burning through. Im not rough on the sled, ran about 40 - 45mph average. In the first mile, we had to stop to shift a load my buddy's viking was hauling, and the hyfax became fused to the track, had to kick it off.

The wearing occured between the 2 lower center fly wheels. I wanted to put on scratchers but the dealship said due to being a larger/heavier rider (6'8" 370lbs, I should keep the limiters to keep the shocks from bottoming out ... any thoughts on this?

Now, rewind 2 weeks, I had an old pair of hyfax that had 1/8th inch left to the wear line, I drove 300 miles, same trip same condition and we did a day trip, and it didnt wear through, in fact it didnt wear at all.

Before this trip my brother put new hyfax on his 06 Apex Mountain and his wifes 03 RX-1 MTN. He put an off brand set of hyfax that the original owner gave him when he bought the sled a few weeks ago (price tage was $17.95 per hyfax, trying to track the guy down and find out the brand). The Yamaha dealership mechanics gave him crap about them saying they were crap and hard to put on. They put the yamaha factory 151" hyfax on his wifes machine. We had nothing but trouble with her sled. In the first mile, the hyfax melted and clogged up her track, and melted the crap out of the hyfax. At one point we stopped and the track became fused to the hyfax and we had to kick it off to break it free. Her hyfax didn't wear past the 1/4 mark, but it burned a ton. BTW, his so called crappy hyfax ran the same 300 miles, and showed -ZERO- wear. He is 6'3" 265 - 280lbs and rides more aggressive than his wife or myself.

I may get flammed, and this may have been discussed here before in older posts, but I'm a new rider to the Apex MTN. I love the performance and the ride, its awesome.

That being said, is it just me or are the factory Yamaha hyfax way soft and just plain crap? I don't think I'm gonna have another trip this year, but certainly next year. Any sure fire ideas on a good pair of hyfax would be great. I've read of all kinds of moding and cutting and drilling and even wheel kits, but surely someone has just found a pair of hyfax that lasts? Supposedly (im the 3rd owner) the hyfax that were on there went **edited for error previously posted 1300 mi*** 950 miles and were just at the 1/8th mark (they were the 2nd hyfax, original factory hyfax burned out in 200 miles. I wish I hadn't listend to the dealership and just left the old ones on, they seemed to have been broken in well and just plain worked!

This season I bought my 08 MTX left over and before I even took it out of the garage I had a set of Ice Scratchers on it... Was able to get 950 miles with maybe 300 more miles left on the slides. I changed them out already just so I can be prepared for next year but those were the shitty oem hyfax. I am sure to get double that with graphite aftermarkets slides.
Just run the ice scratchers everywhere but boondocking or playing and you won't have to worry about slides very often.

adrenaline junkey said:
I can stick 3 fingers between the track and the slide about in the middle. doesn't ratchet and im running scratchers, this combo has got me 1700 miles on the hi fax and still going strong. another way to make sure track is centered measure distance on each side by the back wheels.
Had to drive my sled on road for a mile :o| and the hyfax stuck when I went to ride after getting gas.got over 2000 on this set so far..snow and.scratchers are a must for these heavey sleds.. :exc:
hey junkey..you hold the sled up with which hand when you check the track with your fingers.. :jump:

quebecmoutainrider said:
adrenaline junkey said:
Had to drive my sled on road for a mile :o| and the hyfax stuck when I went to ride after getting gas.got over 2000 on this set so far..snow and.scratchers are a must for these heavey sleds.. :exc:
hey junkey..you hold the sled up with which hand when you check the track with your fingers.. :jump:

lmao the wife holds it up i don't do manual labor ;)!

adrenaline junkey said:

X2, Just because there is new snow you still can burn up hifax. The worst snow is dry surge like snow. The best wet snow-but who like wet snow. Lol

Just to update this, I installed a set of scratchers and HiperFax, and put about 900+ miles on the sled, the HiperFax don't show any wear. Last ride of the season and I missed out on the weekend, blew out the bearing on the right rear main wheel (which came flying off completely), had to limp back 17 miles leaning hard on the left. Replaced the whole axle with a strong billet aluminum shaft and 2 large heavy duty main wheels. Well see how it rides this winter, but last year on the OEM wheels and the hiperfax was fantastic, I saw 94mph crossing lakes several times. Keep in mind I am an extremely large rider @ 6'8" 370lbs.

Back