• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Breeze Stalls After 15 mins!!!!!!!!

Reveal

Hello everyone,

My '89 breeze stalls after about 15 mins. I have noticed the plug has a chalky black soot on it after I pull it. It will not start after it stalls until it has cooled down. If I let it sit for a few minutes, it starts and runs fine (for about 15 mins)

I have done the following:

Drained fuel and refilled with fresh fuel
Cleaned Air filter and intakes
Checked choke operation
Changed oil
Removed and completely cleaned the carb
Checked the valve clearance

Nothing so far has made a difference. Also it bogs just before it stalls. I have messed around with the pilot air screw but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

have you checked/cleaned the grounds on the bike? a dirty ground could cause the coil to heat up and quit working.

You might also check and see if the gas tank vent is working. If it is plugged that is about how long it will run.

If it isn't something simple it could be that the coil or something electrical is heating up and shutting down the spark.

Thanks everyone. I checked the gas valve and even tried to run it with the cap off. No luck. I only found 3 ground points, 2 on the coil and one on the right side of the engine. I also found a green wire that connects to a sensor of some sort on the left side of the engine case behind the belt. Could this be doing something?

probably an oil temp sensor or neutral sensor.

you might have to re-groung the bike frame to the motor. had this happen on a sled once.

Well, it has been a while, and still I have the same problem. Its like it is on a timer! 15 mins. I have changed the plug, cleaned or replaced any part of the ground circuit and tested the coil. Now I have to do something expensive. Should I change the stator or the CDI as the next step in my troubleshooting?

cdi would be my guess. do you know someone with the same bike that you can try their cdi on yours? i have had a sled that would overheat the coil on the stator.

Actually I do, but I am afraid that if I borrow his CDI and fry it because something is wrong somewhere else, I am out 2 CDI's and still have a dead bike! I guess I might as well start at the coil and work my way up. Thanks, I will keep everyone posted as I dig deeper.

Well, I switched CDI's and it did the same thing twice. I tried it in the winter and it goes about 20 to 25 minutes, so I pulled the engine out and took it apart. I found the stator had been physically damaged by a long bolt that had gone through the flywheel. I think as the engine got warm, the wire would expand and short out. I will confirm this when I get it all back together in the next few weeks.

You have had quite a struggle with that. I hope that your new findings will cure the problem. Best of luck to ya.

Back