• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken Driver

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
I have a 2010 FXNytro MTX 162 with a 270 hp MCXPress Turbo. Looks like I have a broken driver. It is the one with the cog tooth that fits in between the track clip holes.

1st.... should I replace right away?
2nd... if replacing, what should I replace them with? Stock? After Market?
3rd... anything I should be examining or looking closely at when I pull that shaft?
4th... right time for a new track..... Camoplast Challenger Extreme 2.5"????

Thanks,
Steve

Aftermarket ones are much stronger. I have only used the wahl but I like them. If you are going to do a track that would be the time to do it. Track has to come out to change drivers.

VMAX
If you are boosted without question i would call Robbie at Avid and order new anti ratchet drivers for it and not worry about it anymore. There are others out there but time and time again i hear people on boost say that Avids are the only way to go. Change all of them and be done with it

While I had it apart I would look at everything in the chaincase and possibly replace the chain and gears if you have been running boost for awhile just for the peice of mind. Since everything in there was never designed to run that type of HP. I have read about people that have changed that stuff every season when running a lot of boost just for the added protection. I would also take a good look at the track bearing on both sides of the axle and replaced depending on how many miles you have on the sled. I have read it is a good idea to swap them out if you +3000 miles on the sled. Might as well look at everything while it is apart and replace things instead of putting old part back in and crossing your fingers.

If you have the money and are still running the stock track I would swap the track out at the same time. This is a no brianer if you still have the OEM track. Whole different sled with a good quailty track under it.

Yes, was planning on the track this summer, but might move that timeframe up a bit. Anyone have the phone number/webpage for the AVID DRIVERS?

Picture of broken driver cog

Just a picture of the broken cog

Attachments

• DSC00420[1].JPG
    DSC00420[1].JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00419[1].JPG
    DSC00419[1].JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 84
I have one broken cog on my drivers as well have put a few hundred miles on it and have had no issues. But im not.boosted. if i was i believe i would defiantly be putting new avids on.

I ordered the following tonight:

7 Tooth AVID Drivers
162" x 15" x 2.5" Camoplast Challenger Extreme

Probably a good all around set up. Ah, it's only money..........

worn drivers

put 800 miles on this year in excellent conditions why would mine look like that? its a new sled... track and everything else looks new?
will warrnty pay for replacements?

Here is what I think after concidering everything I know about mine and also everything I have heard from others. I actually think I got the hyfax hot, track clips started to melt the driver.......... That is what it really loosm like after considering everything. I have heard of this happening.

AVID drivers, new track, and ice age rails...... SLED IS EVEN BETTER and puts me in more control of the 270 HP I am wrestling!

I would give the warranty a try, mine was out of warranty, and I didn't want the junk stock drivers anyways, so I didn't even try. Having worked the warranty desk at a large Yamaha dealer....... I can tell you one thing, it will depend on the guy at the dealership and if he is willing to call yamaha and do all the leg work.

ill call them and see probably not worth me replacing them... cant see them causing a problem.... sad to see the season end

I might have run them asis, had I been running stock hp. But with the turbo, I was worried about "down the road" issues.

Back