• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bros Boosted Viper --- Found over heat issue!!

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Been fighting an over heat issue on my brothers boosted Viper. I believe it could have been over boosting from day one and in it finally took its toll. You can see the damage on the head and pistons.

57636784121__136F9340-7ACC-4071-B300-7F857C19C4DB.JPG
57636788045__B9BE0E4C-D885-4AE1-8C6E-A2C35E230E56.JPG
57636804708__E8D2F74D-2F2C-4FB7-9BA7-07B2BD71401C.JPG
57636806506__4BEEB843-E1BD-41B3-990A-E3E9CDB1A848.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1997.jpg
IMG_1998.jpg

Above you can see where the head gasket failed

Randy (10).jpg
Randy (11).jpg

Here are a few more images of pulling the motor and pulling the motor apart. We are going to crank up the boost to 8 to 12 lbs like my other Viper, with bigger injectors, PCV as well as a thick head gasket.

Randy (1).JPEG
Randy (2).JPEG
Randy (3).JPEG
Randy (4).JPEG
Randy (5).JPEG
Randy (6).JPEG
Randy (7).JPEG
Randy (8).JPEG
Randy (9).JPEG
Randy (10).JPEG
Randy (11).JPEG
Randy (12).JPEG
Randy (13).JPEG
Randy (14).JPEG
Randy (15).JPEG
Randy (16).JPEG

You have been busy guy! I'm sure you were happy to finally find the problem. So was this a stock MPI kit with eabc ?

My snowmobile shop always has fun projects going. Me and Steph still went and rode one last time last weekend too :D

Anyway, yes it had a EABC on it but didnt when we originally purchased it. Had to convert it over and I think maybe it was pushed at sea level before it could be dialed back.

My snowmobile shop always has fun projects going. Me and Steph still went and rode one last time last weekend too :D

Anyway, yes it had a EABC on it but didnt when we originally purchased it. Had to convert it over and I think maybe it was pushed at sea level before it could be dialed back.

Do you have the EABC with the dot sticker that indicates that has the correct software?
Some of those were flashed with the wrong software causing overboost. hopefully you don't have one of those . Look for the dot on the black plastic module which will indicate MPI has checked it for the correct software flash. You probably had gauges on that one anyways im guessing.

Do you have the EABC with the dot sticker that indicates that has the correct software?
Some of those were flashed with the wrong software causing overboost. hopefully you don't have one of those . Look for the dot on the black plastic module which will indicate MPI has checked it for the correct software flash. You probably had gauges on that one anyways im guessing.

Yes we were aware and had the correct EABC but as I mentioned I think it was roached before we put the EABC kit on it.

glad to see you found the problem. odds are with all the good stuff you are doing to it, it will keep him happy and suprise a few others guys.

Tom and all you guys amaze me...... good job!

Wow hard to believe the bearings look so good!
That’s one tough motor 4 sure.
I really like how your doing all your own repair work, commendable.

Forget the shim, put some low compression pistons in since you are replacing them anyways. It must have been turned up past 8psi to do damage like that, or someone ran with shitty fuel and held it to the bar for a long time.

Wow hard to believe the bearings look so good!
That’s one tough motor 4 sure.
I really like how your doing all your own repair work, commendable.

Thank you!!

Forget the shim, put some low compression pistons in since you are replacing them anyways. It must have been turned up past 8psi to do damage like that, or someone ran with shitty fuel and held it to the bar for a long time.

Brother already had the time and money into machining and wanted to keep the cost low, so this is the route we take. If it was me I would have tapped the throttle and launched it off a cliff..LOL

Back