• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BTX se opinion

poor farmer/logger

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper XTX 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Hi everyone I’m looking at a sidewinder btx and just wondering everyone’s opinions. I’ll give you a bit of a quick history of my sleds and riding styles. The last few years I’ve come from a 09 Nytro xtx to a 2015 viper xtx and considering the sidewinder now. One of the things I miss the most is the flickability of my Nytro. Coming over small hills or bumps you could blip the throttle and just lift the skis and go. Was a lot of fun in the hills. My viper is not capable of this in stock form. Can the btx suspension be setup to transfer better then my viper xtx? Very similar set up is why I ask. Looking at a 2018 btx se. Not a lot of new available aside from 2020 and that’s a bit above what I’d like to spend. I do a mix of trail and cross country riding with anything from 3’ of powder to hard crusted wind blown snow drifts and of course groomed trail riding. I’ve never been one to buy a new sled and then spend a pile of money doing clutching and other mods to the sled after. I’d much sooner be riding then wrenching.

I had a nytro xtx before the btx and yes it will lift the skis like the nytro and hold them off the ground much longer if desired

D
I had a nytro xtx before the btx and yes it will lift the skis like the nytro and hold them off the ground much longer if desired

Do you find you have to compromise rough trail ride quality to get it to transfer? My viper I run around 115-125 psi in the rear shock and I have a heavier center spring. Fronts I was about 65 psi on the floats. I didn’t find I was bottoming out much. Maybe occasionally on a real quick dip when you came over a sudden hill into a sharp valley that went back up right away again.

D

Do you find you have to compromise rough trail ride quality to get it to transfer? My viper I run around 115-125 psi in the rear shock and I have a heavier center spring. Fronts I was about 65 psi on the floats. I didn’t find I was bottoming out much. Maybe occasionally on a real quick dip when you came over a sudden hill into a sharp valley that went back up right away again.
I just got it last year and never played with the factory settings,it never bottom's on the bumps and still has lots of weight transfer,i am going to try to see how much more transfer i can get without compromising ride quality this winter

Well I went and looked at that 2018 btx today. We got within 100 dollars of each other’s price so I went to do a mechanical inpsection on it it. Found pieces of belt laying in the belly pan so I walked away. I don’t really want a project right now. If the price reflected it I’d look at it but I didn’t want to pay fill price for it and then fix it on top of it. Salesmen acted as though he’d never heard of the problem before. There is one month of warranty left but from what I’ve gathered Yamaha hasn’t really don’t much to address any warranty claims anyways. Sled was in good shape otherwise as it only had 600 Kms on it. 385 miles or something like that was showing.

Hey poorfarmer/logger,sorry that you could not come together on a deal on the 18 btx,just out of curiosity what dealer was it at in sask?

reeds had a 18 there but i think its gone. just because it blew a belt dont mean its broken or a project. mine also had a nelt blown before i got it. get them to do the huricane fix on it and should be good. they have the jig from hurricane, myself i would buy a xtx over the btx. i have a btx and prefer xtx

Back