• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying a new 2016 Vk Pro ii, what rare pros-cons

chateaupitsie

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 550f grand touring, 2000 440 Bearcat, 1998 340 Bearcat, 1984 Scandic 503, 1989 Safari 377, 1988 Bravo LT,1983 Everest 500, 2009 600 Polaris Switchback, 2016 VK Pro ii,
Wondering if you find it very tippy and is there much ice build up in the tunnel. I see there is a mod for that. I am looking at the ventureMP as well + the 900 ace expedition sport. The MP I understand ices up in tunnel and air intake clogs up. So I'm trying to narrow down choices. Expedition 900Ace sport are popular . Good cold weather starts but not a big skidoo guy have a 550f and a 440 Bearcat. Any ideas, suggestions out there welcomed!!

Looking at your list and considering your location I would suggest looking at the VK540 also. In my opinion the MP and Expedition Sport are light utility at best. That is more of a label to place them in the market rather than describing their performance. In comparison there is nothing light about a VK Pro. The new VK540 was not on the scene when I got my MP but if it had I would have had a tough decision.

Thanks, YK MP. The VK Pro looks good and warm with the new "makeover" . I drove a 600 ace expy last year 140 miles to a lake caribou hunting and back roughly 300 miles round trip great gas mileage but frigging cold in the usual -30 celcius at that time of year. That's why I liked the Vk pro looks warm. VK 540 also looks warm. Being a new type 2 diabetic feeling the cold more especially hands and feet thus the questions.

Thanks, YK MP. The VK Pro looks good and warm with the new "makeover" . I drove a 600 ace expy last year 140 miles to a lake caribou hunting and back roughly 300 miles round trip great gas mileage but frigging cold in the usual -30 celcius at that time of year. That's why I liked the Vk pro looks warm. VK 540 also looks warm. Being a new type 2 diabetic feeling the cold more especially hands and feet thus the questions.

The VK540V is really warm behind the windshield. And the power on the heated grips is great.
Not a machine if you like to go fast. The track on the VK540V is just perfect. And it’s a machine much more easy to handle than the VK Pro.
I upgraded my VK540V with the Dupont slides and a extra pair of idler wheels to handle all kind of snow conditions. No thinking of over heating the engine on ice and no up and down with scratchers. Just ride, ride and ride.

Weldon, thank you. We don't have a lot of powder- deep snow here on the tundra. We have no groomed trails either so need a sled with comfortable ride. I like the old school look of the Vk 540 how is the ride for bumbs. The skidoo,s ride forward position , once you get used to it is comfortable but COLD sleds. Haven't had any comments yet on the VK Pro for ride and stability. Thanks, does the sliders wear fast thus your new idler extra wheels. How is gas mileage. Thanks!!

It is all personal opinion but for me the MP is the most comfortable of the bunch, for both the driver and the passenger. I think the MP may have the highest center of gravity of the bunch also which makes it a handful in soft, deep snow. I am riding a wind swept lake most of the time so I'm ok with that. Watch out for the useless skinny azzed stock skis on the MP. I'd expect the VK540 to be the best cold weather starter of the bunch. Tunnel icing isn't an issue for me because in frigid conditions I don't usually do more than 30km a day and then I pound the hard frozen ice out with a rubber mallet the next morning while it is warming up. But for guys making long runs in cold conditions icing can be severe. It depends on snow, temperature, and speed but it can be really bad. The guys who have put in shields and run the exhaust out the back seem happy.

I don't believe there is ever one perfect sled, we just have to get the one that fits our own personal needs best, do what mods are indicated and live with the rest.

Weldon, thank you. We don't have a lot of powder- deep snow here on the tundra. We have no groomed trails either so need a sled with comfortable ride. I like the old school look of the Vk 540 how is the ride for bumbs. The skidoo,s ride forward position , once you get used to it is comfortable but COLD sleds. Haven't had any comments yet on the VK Pro for ride and stability. Thanks, does the sliders wear fast thus your new idler extra wheels. How is gas mileage. Thanks!!

The shocks is not the best on the VK540V, but they are good enough. On really bumpy groomed trail they are worthless. But on riding in the terrain they work just fine.
I had a VK Pro last season, but I never liked it and returned it and bought the VK540V instead. The Pro is just too heavy. The VK540V feels really nimble compared to the Pro. And no ice build up in the tunnel with the 540. I go riding 300 km a day with my 540.
With the original sliders and no extra idlers, the slides weared out in 750 km. With the idlers and Dupont slides there’s no problem any longer.
The fuel consumption is about 1.8 liters per 10 km for me. And I ride a lot with the groomer attached to the sled.

Have you seen my thread about my VK540V?

Good points MP. On the Venture MP how are the cold weather starts? It is kind of ugly but appearance isn't everything. I saw the exhaust out the back and could see icing being an issue here. Skidoo Ace's either Skandics, Tundra's or Expeditions popular as is the Renegades. But, Renegades and Expeditions are cold. How would the VentureMP be I wonder here with little snow pack, hard snow as well as a lot of driving on sea ice, usually sea ice rough lots of bumps but usually dr in gin straight lines, not twisty turnin. Also the power steering on MP how is it? Is it very noticeable compared to not having it. I've never driven one with it. Still no comments from 2016 and up VK Pro ii owners, so interested in comparisons.

Good points MP. On the Venture MP how are the cold weather starts? It is kind of ugly but appearance isn't everything. I saw the exhaust out the back and could see icing being an issue here. Skidoo Ace's either Skandics, Tundra's or Expeditions popular as is the Renegades. But, Renegades and Expeditions are cold. How would the VentureMP be I wonder here with little snow pack, hard snow as well as a lot of driving on sea ice, usually sea ice rough lots of bumps but usually dr in gin straight lines, not twisty turnin. Also the power steering on MP how is it? Is it very noticeable compared to not having it. I've never driven one with it. Still no comments from 2016 and up VK Pro ii owners, so interested in comparisons.

The power steering is not available on the MP.

The shocks is not the best on the VK540V, but they are good enough. On really bumpy groomed trail they are worthless. But on riding in the terrain they work just fine.
I had a VK Pro last season, but I never liked it and returned it and bought the VK540V instead. The Pro is just too heavy. The VK540V feels really nimble compared to the Pro. And no ice build up in the tunnel with the 540. I go riding 300 km a day with my 540.
With the original sliders and no extra idlers, the slides weared out in 750 km. With the idlers and Dupont slides there’s no problem any longer.
The fuel consumption is about 1.8 liters per 10 km for me. And I ride a lot with the groomer attached to the sled.

Have you seen my thread about my VK540V?
I haven't seee

I haven't seee
I haven't seen your thread. Can you attach thread line? Yes, I liked the Vk540 , two stroke retro and looks warm. I have a 2009 Polaris 600 switchback with blown motor as well . So was leaning toward a 4 stroke this time but haven't ruled out a 2 stroke. No Polaris in the cards either Yamaha or Bombardier. Also looked at the Bearcat 3000lt, nice sled. Appreciate any and all ideas and info!!

I haven't seen your thread. Can you attach thread line? Yes, I liked the Vk540 , two stroke retro and looks warm. I have a 2009 Polaris 600 switchback with blown motor as well . So was leaning toward a 4 stroke this time but haven't ruled out a 2 stroke. No Polaris in the cards either Yamaha or Bombardier. Also looked at the Bearcat 3000lt, nice sled. Appreciate any and all ideas and info!!

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/my-vk540v-2017.148889/

Very nice pictures. Looks like lots of powder there! Ive attached a picture of our tundra riding usual conditions from sea ice to land. IMG_20160326_144449.jpg

Thanks for your Help!!! Getting closer to decision and narrowing now down to the VK Pro and 900 ace renegade. Figure with VK Pro will have to invest in the wider ski skins 11", the mod kit for the exhaust and woody carbides. So an extra $approx $$700 Canadian + add in idler wheels for an extra $ 200 so $900 to get the VK up to snuff from suggestions. Renegade add extra higher windshield $300. So getting closer on decision. VK 2016., Renegade 900 Ace 2017. Trying to weigh all......+ that VK 540 sounds like worth taking a second look!!

Do not forget the Dupont hyfax! A must have in low snow conditions. Try to get the Totaltek carbides. 10 times better than the Woody's.

Back