• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying a used Vector?

Excitabletom

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RX -1
How many miles is too many miles? 8500 miles on an 05 Vector. Original owner. Timing chain updated. Original exhaust donuts. I know the engines last forever, but what about the rest? The track? Regular wear items? I want the machine to be an annual oil change and go machine!

Look for a different one.

05 has a slightly better, yet just as shitty version of the Pro Action rear skid. There's better choices.

If you don't mind carburetors, get an 08-09. Still the 973 carb, but in the Deltabox 2 chassis and Monoshock skid. Otherwise, if your budget allows, get a '10+ for FI and the 1049.

Miles are nothing as long as the rest of the machine has been well kept.

if track is not studded and not an agressive driver, a track can go 10000 mi + up. just changing the one on my 11 apex xtx with 13000 mi in off season this year.

wheels and bearings are variable based on conditions. i repack all my wheels bearings pretty much every year and only end up replacing 2-3 out of the whole skid usually. wheels in 2011 sled have 13000-15000 miles on them and are still in good shape as i do not run studs whitch can chew them up.

there are better riding skids but that one can be made to ride pretty well if you are willing to take the time to adjust it and maintain it properly.

at that milage, you will most likely need to do dounuts and re bush the front a arms as the 05 rx i had needed them before that milage. i would send the shocks out for a service as well as they most likely have no nitrogen charge left in them after all these years.

A few more details and adding to the question...

It's an 06 Vector. I believe that has the mono-suspension like my 05 RX-1 has correct? Seller says shocks just rebuilt, front bushings replaced.
Would you replace the exhaust donuts as preventative work or wait until they go bad?
There is also an 05 Rage with 5000 miles available in my area. Either one recommended over the other?

Ok, 06 then. Yes, it'll have to Monoshock. I would definitely replace the donuts, and go with copper ones. I find it extremely hard to believe that those are the original donuts at that mileage, and if so, they are for sure shot, and there is POSSIBLE damage to the pipe flanges as a result.

The rage will ride nicer with the 136" skid. However, unless the tensioner update has been done, I wouldn't even consider riding it until it's been updated.

Unless you're capable of doing it yourself, it's a $500+ repair. Very labor intensive. $150 in parts, the rest labor for a shop to do it.

Back