• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying new front load washer - opinions wanted please!

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
Will be buying a new front loader to replace our top load washer. Only reason that we are doing this is to reduce our hot water consumption. My wife washes several loads of wash per day and uses lots of very expensive hot water! I tend to over analyze things and are getting into "analysis paralysis" over this purchase.

Here are my thoughts so far:

1. TRYING to find the most mechanically dependable unit. Will be buying extended warranty regardless of brand.
2. LG and Kenmore units (most built by LG) use direct drive which is thought to be the best drive system.
3. Was thinking that 4.3 would be smallest considered and now they are offering 5+'s (might not fit in our laundry room) but is there really that much to be gained in going to a 4.3 vs. a cheaper 4.0?
4. Other brands available at Best Buy would be Whirlpool, Bosch, Electrolux and Samsung.
5. Really don't want steam as I think it's a gimmick that only drives up the cost of operation.
6. I've read where some units have to be "drained" daily or often? WTF is up with this?
7. Don't need 62 cycles....wash the clothes quickly (TurboWash?) spin them dry and be done with it!!!

Any and all thoughts are welcome!!!! ;)!

:rocks:

I went thru this last fall. The newer front load machines do not last. The main boards go out rather quickly. The repair shops in my area wont even take them in trade. I was told by several repair people that the new washers have a life of 5 to 7 years. You can pick up an older washer that still uses less water, and not have to spen $1200+. I would suggest that you talk to repair people and not salesperson before making any decisions.

Tyloooor said:
front end washers suck!!! don't do it

How about a high efficiency top load?

the repair people say also the ones that use less water do not get the clothes clean, a lot of trade ins. Most do not like the low water units. IMHO, I bought a used Kenmore for 225, only 6 years old, top load, no main board, just dials. Parts are cheap and plentiful. If it burns up, just buy another one. Maybe in 15 years.

Maybe your wife should try the warm and cold water modes.

Stay away from Whirlpool front loaders. The main hub eventually cracks and the tub falls off. I had an Electrolux, an older smaller version, and it worked well and was reliable, sold it used 5 years later. Currently have a Frigidaire. Works well but occasionally leaks from the front door. It also sometimes goes out of balance during the spin cycle and clothes will be full of water because it wouldn't go full speed.

Not all front loaders are junk. I've had bad top loaders. Had an Amana that I bought new, it was dead after 3 years.

We have ten years on our Kenmore with no problems. We usually leave the door and detergent drawer cracked open to prevent mold. We were worried about life span when we got them, hoping to get more years of them

Bought a 4.0 LG that was on sale at Sears. Also bought an extended warranty and overall are very comfortable with the decision. Most Kenmore front loaders are and have been made by LG. Wish us luck!

Sleds and washers... where else but on TY? :rocks: :rofl:

Guess my opinion is different then the others. Wife and I went with lg about 7 years ago I guess. Maybe more. Went lg because of warranty. I wanted top load but she wanted front. Haven't had a problem with washer or dryer at all from day one. Cloths are way cleaner then ever before. Both washer and dryer were less then $900...only thing I wish I did different is spend the $$ on the drawers to go under. We always leave door open and make sure to wipe seal off after wash too.

Mooseman said:
Sleds and washers... where else but on TY? :rocks: :rofl:

I know I know!!!!! LOL!!! I thought I could get good selection of opinions from folks across North America.

It is the "Lounge" you know!!!! ;):D ;)!

I was going to ask a question about fridges but a scratch n dent Samsung SxS was just too good of a deal to pass up. :Rockon:

Told my mother about this thread and she laughed. Just goes to show how great ty is lol.

Next up.... share your great knitting patterns! :tg:

Lol want some? Got lots and wool too.

Back