• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Caliper wobble?

sledheadgeorge

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Which one? I have 6
Any speculation on this now, before I tear into it? The other day when setting up clutching noticed a slight wobble in the caliper while spinning the track on a lift. Tried to load a small video but no luck.

I'd look at a bent drive shaft if the caliper is wobbling.

If the shaft was just loose in the bearing, it wouldn't make the caliper wobble. It would take a bent shaft to make the caliper and tunnel flex, BUT , if the shaft has a BOP wedge in it and was tightened down on a worn shaft, it could tighten down with the bearing sitting on an angle on that worn shaft too, now it just introduced a wobble to the caliper.

So, we really need more information. Does this machine have a BOP wedge in it on a worn shaft tightened down? Or is there no BOP wedge in it at all?

I also noticed this type of wobble on my machine when it was brand new (running it on a stand) I’ve since installed the BOP wedge, the wobble is the same.
I cannot feel it in the brake, or when riding as a vibration. I do, however, have an annoying ‘clicking’ type sound at low speeds coming from down by the caliper? I’ve always wondered if it’s related? The sound doesn’t go away when applying the brake either, which make me think it’s not the rotor wobbling around.
I did also fully clipped my Rip2 track, so have also wondered if its the drivers hitting all the extra clips? 2500 miles on her now, and sound hasn’t gotten any worse, so I’m not too concerned about it, but I would like to know what it is!
Steve

My shaft had shown evidence of spinning on caliper bearing, hence reason why I, and many, have installed the BOP wedge. But as mentioned, mine wobbled from day one. Along with shitty shaft/bearing tolerance, it’s seems that the shafts may also not be straight and true, as I don’t any other reason that could cause a wobble?

check left front sway bar link bolts. need to tighten 13mm and torex . half turn most of the time. 2017 are the worst. had a dozen through shop like that.

How would the sway bar being loose cause a wobble in the brake caliper?

Question - have you had it apart and re-assembled?

After overhauling my bearing this summer and using green Loctite, to put back together -the bearing must not have been square and he it really wobbled bad. It was even flexing the side of the tunnel. Had to pull it all apart and try again. I use a pipe now to give it a give wack to seat the bearing on the shaft.

MS

Yes, when it was new I replaced the drive bearing with a SKF. But it wobbled even before I took it apart that first time. I also had it apart again after last season. I’m quite sure the bearing is seated correctly in the caliper and the locking clip was also all the way seated too.

If the shaft was just loose in the bearing, it wouldn't make the caliper wobble. It would take a bent shaft to make the caliper and tunnel flex, BUT , if the shaft has a BOP wedge in it and was tightened down on a worn shaft, it could tighten down with the bearing sitting on an angle on that worn shaft too, now it just introduced a wobble to the caliper.

So, we really need more information. Does this machine have a BOP wedge in it on a worn shaft tightened down? Or is there no BOP wedge in it at all?
What I meant was my Brake disc hub is well worn. Doesnt fit splines tight. I see he is saying the Caliper. Yea thats not good!

Back