• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Came across a lynx on the weekend, taking out the trash

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
No, this isn't a competition comment, its just an observation. Riding along with some friends on the weekend, a mix of yamaha/doo and we were trying to get through what felt like a hundred kilometers of just ungroomed junk trail to get to the nicer sections up north. Faster guys in the front flying ahead and waiting every few intersections for the rest of the group as we are crossing a lot of concession roads. Somewhere along the way a guy on a lynx catches up to us and we wave him through because we are waiting for the tail of our group. I watch him ride away thinking 'man he is really getting after it'. We take off and I jump to the front convinced I want to catch the guy and I pin it. This is a trashed trail with kilometers of whoops with grass/mud at the bottom of the G-outs, very narrow as it is between a tree line on an embankment and the highway, just over a sled and a bit in width and this guy is frickin flying, 70+ to my 50-60. I start off thinking this guy can really ride (spoiler, he can) but when I looked closer I could see that the lynx was just soaking up everything, and I mean everything the trail threw at it. The level of confidence he had in this capability turned into outright aggression. We caught up to him later, headed back in the opposite direction (I felt like I had been lapped in a race) and this guy is at least 65 years old, maybe older, on the small side if anything. I have to say I was really impressed, not because he is older although that just adds to the overall observation that the lynx is a bump eating machine. Whatever those fins are riding to get that thing dialed for big bumps results in a very capable suspension for exactly this kind of riding. Watching him ride through the bumps reminded me of the first time I watched a trophy truck in the open desert, just send it and let the suspension do all the work. Would love to ride one someday although I am pretty sure I could not get past the skis in the air every time you get on throttle, pretty sure in fact that I wouldn't like that but I have to admit, that thing can take out the trash.

I haven’t had a 2 stroke since 2004 so with the Rave it lacks the torque I’m used to with a big 4 stroke. It steers a bit hard but is getting better as I slowly make adjustments. The uncoupled skid takes a bit to get used to also.

I haven’t had a 2 stroke since 2004 so with the Rave it lacks the torque I’m used to with a big 4 stroke. It steers a bit hard but is getting better as I slowly make adjustments. The uncoupled skid takes a bit to get used to also.

As much as I appreciate its big bump handling I could not give up the winders planted abilities in the trails. Nor the relentless pull.

I feel the same way. I bought it so I can still ride and be comfortable when trails out the front door are less than ideal. Wanted to try something different and would not give up the SRX for the Lynx. Just wanted to keep the miles down on the SRX and use for trips and the Lynx for day rides around the house.

We could probably improve the SRX in the bumps by using some appropriate Ohlins with PDS. Heck, Ohlins even produced a PDS damper for the rear of the Lynx PPS suspension, soften up the main stack and keep the big hit ability. Seems as though manufacturers don’t like to offer machines that can do it all… it is possible to build a have your cake and eat it too machine. The old AD Boivin Expert X was always great for that, transfer from nothing to wheelie machine in 30 seconds.

We could probably improve the SRX in the bumps by using some appropriate Ohlins with PDS. Heck, Ohlins even produced a PDS damper for the rear of the Lynx PPS suspension, soften up the main stack and keep the big hit ability. Seems as though manufacturers don’t like to offer machines that can do it all… it is possible to build a have your cake and eat it too machine. The old AD Boivin Expert X was always great for that, transfer from nothing to wheelie machine in 30 seconds.

Good point, ohlins even has a sidewinder part number. They don't however talk about the center shock, just fronts and rear. They have listings for all positions.

Product no.StatusCategoryBrandModelProduct FamilyProduct TypeModel Years
MN 055ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder L-TX TE 137"SnowmobileCenter2019-2020
MN 056ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder L-TX TE 137"SnowmobileRear2019-2020
MN 054ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder B-TX LE 153"SnowmobileFront2017-2020
MN 050ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder M-TXSnowmobileFront2017-2020
MN 051ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder B-TX LE 153"SnowmobileCenter2017-2020
MN 051ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder L-TX TE 137"SnowmobileCenter2017-2020
MN 052ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder B-TX LE 153"SnowmobileRear2017-2020
MN 052ActiveSnowmobileYamahaSidewinder M-TX 162"SnowmobileRear2017-2020

Last edited:
But they aren’t IQS compatible.

I wouldn't change SRX shocks, I would be thinking a purpose built bump machine. I want the push button activation for IQS, that stupid menu system sucks for making adjustments on the fly.

Back