• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can slide springs affect rpm?

manitoba rx1

Extreme
My ECP kit came with the red slide springs...and I can't reach over 9200 RPM...could this be the springs? Should I go back to stock?

Any ideas?

They came with the kit I got from rx1fern...which if I read the tube they came in right...0-4000 ft for carb filters is red.

I was out today and we had some local back yard racing on the floodway..the poor yammi wasn't doin so well...I can't hit over 9800 RPM, and thats not even every time.

Today was nice and crisp to start with and I was seeing 96-98, but never over that at all....I wish I could get this staright..I love everything else now..no burbble at all, and the sound of the ECP kit and my guted exhaust sound great!

springs

I am alson running red springs with my filter kit. I am running at 10,500 all the time. I went with 14.5 rollers and BBY HH's set up. I also have a Hauck roller secondary. Can't remember the helix but it might be around 44/36 not sure. When I set it all up and went out to test. It was spot on That was a first for me.

I realized something today....the springs came in a Holtzman tube, and the stock spring and stock air box calls for a green, and when I opened my carbs I had silver, could this be possibly from the last owner....or is that stock anyway?

Fredie..do you think I should just go back to silver..whats your opinion on red?

I'm thinking my next step is to change the secondary from 1-6 to 2-6 or 3-6 as some others have recommended for getting rpm's up.

springs

I think the stock springs are silver in color , but I believe they are not the same as the aftermarket ones. Also you really shouldn't use your secondary to adjust your rpm's. You should work on your primary to gain correct rpm's then fine tune your secondary.

Well the Dalton clutch kit that I just bought for the sled doesn't allow for adding weight, so I am locked into what is there, and I don't think I should need to spend even more money on another kit if I can get my RPM's with a secondary adjustment.

Just my thoughts....

I guess if you buy the aftermarket "stock" springs then they are a diff colour..makes sense.

manitoba rx1 said:
I realized something today....the springs came in a Holtzman tube, and the stock spring and stock air box calls for a green, and when I opened my carbs I had silver, could this be possibly from the last owner....or is that stock anyway?

Fredie..do you think I should just go back to silver..whats your opinion on red?

I'm thinking my next step is to change the secondary from 1-6 to 2-6 or 3-6 as some others have recommended for getting rpm's up.

Several years ago, I dynoed every spring including the stock ones. Between the yellow, red, silver and blue the was literally 0.8 HP difference between the 4 different CV slide springs. I would recommend that you use silver for trail riding. Blue for speed running.

Freddie

manitoba rx1 said:
Well the Dalton clutch kit that I just bought for the sled doesn't allow for adding weight, so I am locked into what is there, and I don't think I should need to spend even more money on another kit if I can get my RPM's with a secondary adjustment.

Just my thoughts....

I guess if you buy the aftermarket "stock" springs then they are a diff colour..makes sense.

Regarding the Dalton clutch kit. Dale drills the weights to add rivets. You can buy rivets at your local Yamaha dealer real cheap.

I recently bought the hauck filters for mine and when running it at wot for 15 or more seconds it would fall on its face and sputter until I completely stopped and went again. I was also having troubles achieving my rpm's.I bought them from a guy who was running high altitude and it had red springs whereas I am running at about 300', its the only thing I can think that would be causing my problem not to mention that the warmer the season got the worse it got due to I'm guessing the air getting even heavier on the flatlands. Any thoughts Freddie??

jminor1 said:
I recently bought the hauck filters for mine and when running it at wot for 15 or more seconds it would fall on its face and sputter until I completely stopped and went again. I was also having troubles achieving my rpm's.I bought them from a guy who was running high altitude and it had red springs whereas I am running at about 300', its the only thing I can think that would be causing my problem not to mention that the warmer the season got the worse it got due to I'm guessing the air getting even heavier on the flatlands. Any thoughts Freddie??

Are you hitting the rev limiter?

Freddie

jminor1 said:

Check to make sure you didnt pinch one of your fuel lines when you put carbs back on.I pinched one of mine(right where the lines come out of fuel pump and go under carbs) when I first put the ECP kit on and had a heck of a time figuring out why it would go lean after long runs,ran fine any other time but if I was to race someone for a ways then it would run two carbs out of fuel and slow right down and run like crap for a few seconds then pick back up and run fine till the next time I held it for any length of time wide open.

If your lines arent pinched check the output of your fuel pumps.The way i was told to do it is get two clear lines about three feet long and hook them up to output on fuel pump and hold the lines up into the air so the gas has to travel straight up and turn the sled over (unplug wiring from coils)it should pump the gas right up the lines.It doenst happen real fast but it should pump up the lines.

good call on the fuel lines but mine were OK. I could see that being a head scratcher though. Another reason I am pointing to the springs is my fuel mileage went in the toilet.

I would expect if you put a filter kit on you jumped up about 30 points on your jet size (135-165), so don't forget to include that into the mix....your putting a lot more fuel through with all that air.

Back