• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can someone help confirm these 2 "noises" are normal?

StinkyFingers

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper Xtx-LE
Hey folks, 2016 xtx - Just got done oil change (chaincase and engine) what a pita doing it on the ground. Have a very very small leak from bottom of case, but I'm going to leave it for now and watch my fluid level through the stupid "window".

Anyways, fired it up to test things out while on a stand and a couple noises stood out, as I dont think they were there before (at least not that I noticed). Sled only has 3100 kms/1900 miles on it.

1) primary noise when its disengaging, seems a little harsh. Louder in person vs on phone.

2) reverse noise when its rolling in reverse and I hit the brake. CLICK! again louder in person vs on phone.

What are your thoughts? Normal-ish? or STOP!! lol. I have the option to take it into the dealer tomorrow morning on my way out of town, but would rather not of course. Maybe it just needs a little rip to get the cobwebs out as this is the first time running since end of Feb.

Thanks!!

Clutch sounds the same as my 2016. I suspect the noise when hitting the brake in reverse is the chain pushing the tensioner against the adjuster bolt.

Thanks guys, don't really run it much with the track in the air. Previous sleds weren't as loud so thought I'd double check.

the reverse noise could be the clips on the track...normal enough. I'd be more concerned with the oil leaking..good idea to keep an eye on it. Sure it's not the engine oil leaking? That seal is subject to leaking. Sled sounds great!! Joe

Funny my initial thought was the clips as they were pretty rusty. I'll take her for a spin later today in the snow. I'm sure it will be fine and I'm just being more anal than usual.

As for the oil definitely chain case. It's about 3 ot 4 drops a day. Had it sitting for a week apart with only the case filled .. Hadn't filled the oil tank at the time.

Was the color of your chaincase seal the original black seal? If so you may want to get the superseded thicker seal (red) for a replacement. My leak was noticeable on my trailer floor and I was concerned that once the chaincase oil warmed up from riding that it would leak even faster. After replacement, I haven't had a leak since. Here's the thread.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/chaincase-o-ring.154095/

Was the color of your chaincase seal the original black seal? If so you may want to get the superseded thicker seal (red) for a replacement. My leak was noticeable on my trailer floor and I was concerned that once the chaincase oil warmed up from riding that it would leak even faster. After replacement, I haven't had a leak since. Here's the thread.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/chaincase-o-ring.154095/

Hey there. I didn't take the cover right off, just split it a bit to drain the oil. Not sure which gasket I have but guessing the old one if the outdated one came on the 16s. I don't think the case has ever been apart, just drained and refilled.

Sounds like my 2018 Viper, infamous Yamaha clutch noise.

Back