• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carb question

They look alike so unless you check the numbers it's easy to do. I just pull out one at a time when I clean them.

Ken.....

Got my carbs off and bowls off. My main jets (in the hexagon piece) are all 165’s and completely clean so that obviously isn’t the problem. Pulled the pilot jets and they are all clean. Pilot screws are all set at two turns out from lightly seated. That what they were when I removed them. Before I pulled the carbs off I tried running it again. Sled would idle but didn’t seem to sound quite right. It wouldn’t rev up enough to move the sled. I put the choke on and tried again and I could drive the sled forward and reverse the length of my shop. Would that have anything to do with the pilot circuit. Doesn’t the pilot circuit work from idle to roughly 1/4 throttle.
Jets are 165’s because I have an air box mod.

Last edited:
Max

What should happen if I open up my pilot screw another turn.
This just has me baffled. I’ve been cleaning carbs on sleds, atv’s and bikes for 25 years and have never had a problem like this before.

Last edited:
Also don't forget about the jet #29. It takes a small screw driver to remove but they do come out. Also, have you removed the needle and seat valve assembly (#10) as well as remove and clean its screen? How are the o-rings #11 and #15? Are the holes in #14 clean and can see thru? I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my 03 Rx-1 but for some unexpected repairs on my other snowmobiles has not provided me the time to complete that job; still have carbs completely disassembled with all new parts sitting next to them. :o|

I order replacement parts for all of these (7, 10, 15, 16, 27, 28, & 29) but like stomper #16 was actually replaced with new OEM 165's as I run the ECP Filter kit. I even bought two new fuel tank filters so hopefully I get old Black Betty running like her ole self soon.

What should happen if I open up my pilot screw another turn.

I know you said you were running an air box mod but with ECP Filter kit which just uses K&N filters, 165 mains and lighter CV springs, I always has my pilot screws turned 2.5 turns out from lightly seated.

I share your frustration stomper as I had always disassembled, cleaned, and sync'd the carbs on my RX-1 every year when it was my primary snowmobile and never once had an issue with it not running right. Fast forward to today where it hasn't been ridden for quite some time but always stored in my house garage with no fuel in the tank and carbs and now when I want to get it running again, I am running into the same issues with it just not running like its old self. I sure hope all the parts I bought resolve the issue or I will be literally banging my head against the wall.

Also don't forget about the jet #29. It takes a small screw driver to remove but they do come out. Also, have you removed the needle and seat valve assembly (#10) as well as remove and clean its screen? How are the o-rings #11 and #15? Are the holes in #14 clean and can see thru? I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my 03 Rx-1 but for some unexpected repairs on my other snowmobiles has not provided me the time to complete that job; still have carbs completely disassembled with all new parts sitting next to them. :o|

I never took out 29 But it has lots of airflow when I blow through 27 (I think). O rings 11&15 look fine and all holes in 14 are clear.

I know you said you were running an air box mod but with ECP Filter kit which just uses K&N filters, 165 mains and lighter CV springs, I always has my pilot screws turned 2.5 turns out from lightly seated.

Maybe I’ll turn the pilots out another 1/2 turn and see what happens. I honestly can’t remember if I got the two turn from when I took them apart or when I looked online.

Got my carbs off and bowls off. My main jets (in the hexagon piece) are all 165’s and completely clean so that obviously isn’t the problem. Pulled the pilot jets and they are all clean. Pilot screws are all set at two turns out from lightly seated. That what they were when I removed them. Before I pulled the carbs off I tried running it again. Sled would idle but didn’t seem to sound quite right. It wouldn’t rev up enough to move the sled. I put the choke on and tried again and I could drive the sled forward and reverse the length of my shop. Would that have anything to do with the pilot circuit. Doesn’t the pilot circuit work from idle to roughly 1/4 throttle.
Do you have the paper service manual for the carbs?I hate to say it but if it was me I would pull them apart 1 carb at a time&make sure all the parts are in place per the manual&clean&set at proper adjustment.the problem is there just gotta find where.it sucks to do a job 4-5 times but stay calm&patience will prevail you will find it& its probably 1 little thing but that's all it takes.hang in there you will figure it out.i have the troubleshooting pages if you need them (you may have already checked?)

Also I had notes from previous overhaul that there is a tiny oring&tiny flat washer for the pilot screws that are not shown in the service manual.the oring goes in first then the washer&then the pilot screw

Back