• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbon Remover product

Andbro1526

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Venture GT
Hi,

Do you know an excellent product or tips for removing carbon on the valves without removing the head?

Thank

I don't think any of the snake oils will remove large amounts of carbon. You will see some benefit using it over the long term. I've watched a few YouTube vids on guys testing different brands with limited results.

Yamaha Dealers Sell a product call Ring Free use it all the time but you can shock the system but you have to change oil & filter after i forgot how much you put in the tank to do the shock treatment go to a dealer and they can tell you then after continue use every tank and you never have problem again

That ring free stuff is really potent. Dont get it on paint.
Are you looking to de-carbon a head or maintenance?
BG makes some good stuff also.

Using sea foam spray can really clean up the top of pistons in small engines - 2st &4st - lawnmower, chainsaw, whipper snipper etc. I have never soaked one of our genesis engines with it.

Mixing seafoam in the gas can only help keep the carbon from building.
MS

That ring free stuff is really potent. Dont get it on paint.
Are you looking to de-carbon a head or maintenance?
BG makes some good stuff also.
Yup...BG 44k. I worked 16 years as a GM dealership mechanic. We had lots of valve stem carbon/gum-up issues in the late 80’s -early 90’s. The v6 in the Fiero and the inline 6 in the Jeep’s. Damn things wouldn’t start because of the intake valve deposits. BG 44k and/or walnut shell blasting was the only thing that worked. I had a buddy who worked on Toyota’s who said he had luck using water. That required filling the ports and letting them soak for a period of time. Never tried that though.....

I worked 16 years as a GM dealership mechanic. We had lots of valve stem carbon/gum-up issues in the late 80’s -early 90’s.
with the new direct injected engines the problem is only getting worse. The BG intake service works really well

Hot engine and spray bottle of water. Will get them spotless. Rev it up and spray water in intake without letting it die. Don’t hydro lock it.

Im telling you guys use the the Yamaha Ring Free it works an after put about 2-3 oz in every tank an you will never have a problem . the reason sold this stuff was because back when they had those 3 cycl 30-40 hp outboard motors the camps where having problems with them run when yamaha sent there Japanese engineers and they found out it was a carbon problem so they came out with this product problem solved it also it is caused by the crapy gas that we have. with working for them an seeing the results of this stuff it makes a big different.

Yup...BG 44k. I worked 16 years as a GM dealership mechanic. We had lots of valve stem carbon/gum-up issues in the late 80’s -early 90’s. The v6 in the Fiero and the inline 6 in the Jeep’s. Damn things wouldn’t start because of the intake valve deposits. BG 44k and/or walnut shell blasting was the only thing that worked. I had a buddy who worked on Toyota’s who said he had luck using water. That required filling the ports and letting them soak for a period of time. Never tried that though.....

He is right about this condition. The carbon deposits on the intake valves soak up fuel. You will get many opinions on this. I was trained by Ford to do walnut shell blasting while valves were closed to correct this. I am sure there are better ways to deal with this now. The carbon deposits soak up fuel. Causing a lean condition on startup. Many vehicles are becoming more complicated with electronics. But we should not forget that basic mechanical conditions can cause problems. LoL!

if it is not a tubo'd motor, you could use kleenflow combustion chamber cleaner sprayed into it while engine is running. used it on trucks and cars before to get rid of carbon in the rings/valve train. done it to an old et340 with sticky rings. would not do it to a turbo sled as it can overheat a turbo.

If you need a real cleaning, I swear by ACDelco Top Engine Cleaner spray. I used it during my recent head gasket job. I know guys that have used it to clean intake passages and valves. Fill the cylinders and intake passages with the foam and let it work. This piston top just wiped off clean with a rag after soaking overnight. And it also seeps into the rings to clean those off. Wear gloves because this stuff is nasty.

PXL_20210108_201525576_resized1434854095951234542.jpg

Good old diesel fuel works great for dissolving carbon off parts. Let it soak over night, wipe it off

Back