• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat DNA Strikes again! -CHAINCASE TENSIONER ROLLER WHEEL FAIL

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
Have not been on TY4s for several days,cause I've been busy....(not in the good way)

-getting towed for many miles in deep snow
-loading 600 lb sled onto truck
-ruining a trip for my buddy and I (still have to pay for rooms and trip ect)
-got a whopping 1o mile ride total
-wrenching this sled into a zillion pieces when i got home

Funny thing is, when it happened I was 99% sure what it was because of this site. Gotta love this site and the community here as we all try to help each other with the CAT DNA(as Knapp says).....and a thread that I followed closely last fall was in my mind when i heard a slapping noise preceded by a vibration around 60mph.

Yep....the dreaded Tensioner roller wheel issue caught up with me. Approx 2400 miles and when I looked at it this fall the screws into the wheel looked fine. Grrrr....

Right off the top, I will say.....to remove your chain case entirely(meaning front and rear) down to bare tunnel is much more work then I thought(Thanks Mike for all your support brother). You name it, and it likely needs to be removed! grrrr...

Way too much to type, so I'll just slap up a bunch of pics and try to get them into succession to see what's involved.

Lots to do the next few days, and Ill fill in more posts here as I get things back together.....Ofcourse it was a DOO 2s that towed me out(My bud) and isnt that always the way? lol.

Dan

IMG_4124.jpg
IMG_4125.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4127.jpg
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4129.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg
IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4133.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg
IMG_4135.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4138.jpg
IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg
IMG_4141.jpg
IMG_4143.jpg
IMG_4145.jpg
IMG_4146.jpg

Last batch of pics....Yes you need to remove alot to get that case out.

IMG_4204.jpg
IMG_4205.jpg
IMG_4206.jpg
IMG_4207.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg
IMG_4210.jpg
IMG_4211.jpg
IMG_4212.jpg
IMG_4214.jpg
IMG_4215.jpg
IMG_4216.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

These are the parts I ordered...rear case all comes as assembly with bearing ect all included, front case comes with elec wiring ect...and tensioner comes with roller wheel already installed, you can bet I will be tack welding my roller wheel screws!
IMG_4221.jpg

Last edited:
How can this be avoided? Remove the bolt, apply loc-tite, and re-tighten?

SH!T that sucks man sorry to hear. Now you make me want to take mine apart to look at it.

Its usually the back one you cant see until you remove the adjuster then the screw falls out.

I narrowly missed the same thing...When I did my service at the start of the season...the screw holding the wheel fell into the bottom of my case as I pulled the cover. Ticking time bomb for sure.

Guess you never got to try the dalton white for many miles lol.

Its usually the back one you cant see until you remove the adjuster then the screw falls out.

My rear screw remained in place as seen in pics, it was tight against rear wall of case and actually kept tension on chain abit as chain rode against the screw itself. The front screw was out completely and found at bottom of case all mashed up as seen in pics. Roller just dropped and sat there as shown, wedging against case which cracked rear case.

Man what a pain in #*$&@....I was half way into the job before I realized how much had to come out to get case out, I likely would have let the dealer do this one if I had known!

Dan

Back