• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat rider with nytro xtx questions

I always lean to cat but the dealers are pissin me off. I am about ready to go to wisconsin. If cat had not come out with the pro cross I'd have an xtx on order already.

romie said:
I always lean to cat but the dealers are pissin me off. I am about ready to go to wisconsin. If cat had not come out with the pro cross I'd have an xtx on order already.

That's funny, I love my Nytro, but if I were buying a new sled tomorrow it would be a Cat, mostly because of the local dealers.

I'm so sick of driving an hour to the closest dealer. If a dealer would move into town...I don't care what color it is...I might just buy that brand to save on driving lol

I was a ski doo dealer for 15 years sold that dealership and rode a cat for the last three, I am going back to my roots wich is with yami, the first year I was a ski doo dealer I still rode my exciter. In my opinion alot of guys on here do nothing but gripe, they don't tell you all of the good, and if anyone can ride a sled out of the crate without changes or mods do they really know what they are riding?

'

xf800spro said:
I was a ski doo dealer for 15 years sold that dealership and rode a cat for the last three, I am going back to my roots wich is with yami, the first year I was a ski doo dealer I still rode my exciter. In my opinion alot of guys on here do nothing but gripe, they don't tell you all of the good, and if anyone can ride a sled out of the crate without changes or mods do they really know what they are riding?

'
Your right that is all they do is gripe , any sled i have had i make changes and never bit## about it ( freedom of speech i guess )

There is a lot of complainin everywhere you go. All I want out of this topic is whether you guys suggest the xtx is a good machine or not. True, I have had to make changes to every sled I have owned in the last 25 years. What I want to avoid is the disaster of something that I will regret. Like only making it 85 miles on a 7 gallon tank. I have priced the cats at the 4 dealers in my 1 hour perimeter and found that a dealer in Wisconsin beats them by 5-600 bucks. How in the hell is that possible.

romie said:
There is a lot of complainin everywhere you go. All I want out of this topic is whether you guys suggest the xtx is a good machine or not. True, I have had to make changes to every sled I have owned in the last 25 years. What I want to avoid is the disaster of something that I will regret. Like only making it 85 miles on a 7 gallon tank. I have priced the cats at the 4 dealers in my 1 hour perimeter and found that a dealer in Wisconsin beats them by 5-600 bucks. How in the hell is that possible.

I'm on an 09 XTX and have 4201 miles on it. I'm 41, but still act like a kid on this sled. I ride at about 7/10ths most of the time (if you know what I mean). The motor is the best thing about this sled, but you will not get the greatest mileage out of a tank but i will tell you I always get better mileage than the F1000, F7, CFR8, skidoo 500SS, and my wifes F5LXR riding in the same conditions. 100 miles get sketchy at times for a tank. I love this sled, takes awhile to dial it in (seriously), just have patience and read alot of posts. But......corner to corner and 0 to 85mph there is not a sled that out runs me, or that I have problems keeping up with. NOw...that said, this sled requires alot of rider input in the twisties, and I like that (keeps me warm), but it is by far the funnest (is that a word) sled I have owned. At the same time, I have already said that if I was in the market i would buy a new Cat 1100 Turbo XF (damn they look good), but will stick with my XTX for now. Again FWIW.

HRD2PLZ said:
romie said:

I'm on an 09 XTX and have 4201 miles on it. I'm 41, but still act like a kid on this sled. I ride at about 7/10ths most of the time (if you know what I mean). The motor is the best thing about this sled, but you will not get the greatest mileage out of a tank but i will tell you I always get better mileage than the F1000, F7, CFR8, skidoo 500SS, and my wifes F5LXR riding in the same conditions. 100 miles get sketchy at times for a tank. I love this sled, takes awhile to dial it in (seriously), just have patience and read alot of posts. But......corner to corner and 0 to 85mph there is not a sled that out runs me, or that I have problems keeping up with. NOw...that said, this sled requires alot of rider input in the twisties, and I like that (keeps me warm), but it is by far the funnest (is that a word) sled I have owned. At the same time, I have already said that if I was in the market i would buy a new Cat 1100 Turbo XF (damn they look good), but will stick with my XTX for now. Again FWIW.
I'd say have alot of patience making adjustments, and avoid reading too many posts here. Look at how many people get caught up in the bitching, thinking they need to buy new everything for the Nytro to get it to handle, when mostly all it needs is to be dialed in.

2 1/2 seasons and 3200 miles on my sled now. Totally love the sled.
But when I first got it I did have some reservations about switching from my '07 Attak.

The Nytro needs tweaking to get it dialed in, at least for me.
Now the sled rocks. Handles great, corners flat, takes the rough trails great, good gas mileage, fast for what it is.

The things I did:
Hygear springs
Tall windshield
Larger gas tank
Ski Doo 6.9 Pilot skis
Clutch kit
Excell Header

My ball joints seem fine but I grease then periodically.

Thanks. Great posts. I like the cat too. I am just a bit worried about the first year thing, I've been there before with cat. Also worried about the wife thing. 10 grand is easier to get by her than 13.

Look at it this way, any new sled out there will be a good sled and you will make changes to any sled you end up with. I have had cat, doo and now my Nytro and will agree with the fact that this is the most fun sled to ride that I have ever had and when the trails have 2 foot mogles (sp) it takes it better that my rev did and there is not a sled that can keep up that I have rode with. I have a 121 but I rode with a guy this year with the XTX and all that we did was change the skies and spent time on the set up and this thing rocks. One thing to think about is that even though the Cat will perhaps be the sweetest looking sled on the snow next year, if it were me I dont think I would want to sign up to be a test rider on a first year sled with my own money! And if you didnt like the new sled what ever you get I would think that the XTX would have a better resale value than a first year anything. But if you do go with the Cat please report back, I'd like to here what you think of it.

The stock 7.4 gallon tank is too small and if you ride fast, hard or through deep snow, your milage will drop and you'll be luck to get even 100 miles out of the tank. Trail tank makes a larger 10 gallon tank.

The '08 lower ball joints were junk, mine wore out within 400 miles. I don't know how good the stock replacements are, but there are aftermarket parts available.

Best thing to do is ride a Nytro and see what you think. I'm really curious about the Procross F-1100 and would imagine that it would ride and handle better than the Nytro, simply because Cat has had 4 model years to come out with something better. If you search, you cna find the weights on the Cats and they don't appear to be much lighter than a Nytro. That may have to due with the engine weights since Cat uses a twin and it has to have balance shafts which likey makes it heavier than the Nytro motor. The Procross chassis looks to be lighter than the Nytro.

The icing in the tunnel is a PITA. It adds a bunch of weight to the sled. I don't understand why Yamaha has to run their exhaust under the tunnel? Street and dirt bikes, along with ATV's and even your automobile doesn't require snow spray for cooling. They should be able to figure something else out . I think their exhaust arrangement has more to do with visual appeal and balancing the chassis than heat concerns. Doo, Cat and Polaris all run front dump exhausts on their 4-strokes.

Great info again. I am going to the show April 9th and will decide that week. I'll let you all know. Thanks for everything.

I have a love-hate relationship with my nytro. Love the power of the four stoke, the suspension, and the way my dealer goes to bat for me and throws me a few deals on stuff every year.

What i hate is the fact that it eats sliders and limiter straps, sub par stock skis, small gas tank, location of exhaust which limits storage options.

With this said, I have replaced my skis with slydog powder hounds and 6" shaper bars. Major improvement. Installed a gas caddie/ saddle bag and a tunnel bag.

I had a good idea going in as to what I was gonna have to do with this sled to make it work for me. I got no problem with aftermarket skis. I've always bought them for my sleds. But the sliders and the straps and the ball joints was something I wasn't prepared for.

I'm hoping to do some mods this summer to help cut weight on the sled and me. LOL

Oh and an under tunnel exhaust is on my radar!!

Back