• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Center shock preload adjustment.....

Phaze

Expert
'12 xtx. To me it looks like there is a bunch of preload. Trying to take some out to soften it up. But 4 the life of me I can't loosen the locknut. Using a big screwdriver and hammer. Getting ready to break out my 4lber. Any ideas b4 I break an ear?

Thanks...

20190429_152650.jpg

Got it loose. Hit the adjusting nut to compress the spring which loosened it from the locking nut.
Where would be a good place to start setting up preload to soften the ride some, is there a starting measurement?

you have cleaned and lubed the threads as sand tends to stick in them against the nut.

well on the 2011 i run that shock so that it is stiff to turn the spring by hand with the rear of the sled off the ground. i liked it in that position and my gf basically kicked me off of that sled because it rode so good.

I basically took the preload right out of it and it didnt seem to soften. Weight transfer is maxed, rebound is full soft and torsion spring is set to soft. Here r the springs, r they stock?
20190429_172735.jpg

Last edited:
If your trying to soften the suspension and get more transfer you need the Star kit. The difference is night and day.

I'm trying to soften it up. I need to check the rebound shock. Feels like a board when I sit on it.. Doesn't sag like my '05 RX1. Was expecting it to be stiffer, but not like this...

Looking again the stock rear shock doesn’t have any rebound clicker if you’re after kick reduction. The Ck is a banger suspension and not plush like the mono. For me clicker , shock spring adjustments and spring cam didn’t do much for me at 215 lbs. Even when I was heavier say 230lbs geared xtx compression was pretty darn hard. I found stiffer settings produced less rebound kick but adjustment window didn’t produce a plush ride no matter what I did with stock springs and shocks. Buddies installed elka stage 4 shocks all around and performance improvements especially up front but very little improvement with the rear. I would go star by the book if I wanted to improve the Ck.

I do have a rebound clicker. And made the adjustments like you did not feeling any difference just sitting on it. I only go about 190..

Mono suspensions are great. Bros '14 Vector and buddies '08 Apex have it, along with my RX. Nite and day compared to my Apex..

I've been hearing alot about the Star conversion, but haven't seen the kit. Someone have a link?

Thanks...

The clicker on the stock rear xtx shock has just a compression clicker. If you have both compression and rebound clickers the rear shock is not stock. Oh yeah mono was much more plush responded to both rebound and compression Ck is designed to be banged at high speed. The slower you ride the more harsh the Ck will kick your butt especially at your weight. Search the star plenty of info on TY and Robert advertises on TY too. Up to you of what to do maybe best just to customize a shock rebuild and springs lots of supporters do that on TY. Lots of suggestions of what to do as well. TY members can help you thru this if asked soooo much good information here.

you need to measure the thickness of the torsion springs.

i took the stock ones off my 2011 and threw on a set of 2009 fx nitro xtx torsions with the yamaha 4 position adjusters for the 2014 sr viper as stock was too stiff with me weighing 250lb and the rear shock clicker backed off. now, as long as rear shock is in good shape, it rides awsome without the star kit. heck it rides so well that my gf has kicked me off of it for the last 3 seasons and told me to go find myself a new sled.

Back