• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Case drain bolt

JimBC

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
VK Pro
I'm changing the chain case oil for the first time in our 2008 VK Pro.
I got the drain bolt out OK but there's no room to get the bolt started back in. The track frame is in the way. I tried jacking up the front but still no room.
Anyone figured out how to get the drain bolt back in?
Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

i usually use a wrench after i start it with my fingers between the track and the tunnel.

i usually use a wrench after i start it with my fingers between the track and the tunnel.

Thanks for the reassurance that it is possible to get the bolt started.

Well that was two hours wasted. I finally got the bolt started. I jacked up the front bumper, put 4 inches of lumber under the front of the track to push the track up out of the way. That didn't help so I then jacked up the back end - finally at one height, I could start the bolt. The bolt hole is between a bulkhead and the track and the outside drive sprocket - very tight for anyone with normal size hands.

I also learned that you can't just pour the new oil in the filler hole. Half the oil puked back out. You have to add the oil very slowly - there must be some very narrow galleries inside the chain case. I had to fire up the VK to settle the oil, stop the engine and check the oil level again in order to see the true level. By the way the specs call for .35 litre to fill the chain case. The drain bolt is 12 mm.

Has your right side drive sprocket shifted? I had a hard time getting my drain plug back in, which is when I realized my drive sprocket had shifted resulting in very little clearance for the bold...

Good question - I'll have a look tomorrow. I am guessing that I should look to see if the track is centred and if the drive sprockets are in line with the track openings. Anything else I should look for?

John B - you are so right. You can see in the photos that the right hand sprocket is completely off the track lobes. The left outer sprocket is half off the track lobes. No wonder there was no room to get the drain bolt back in.
OK - looking in the shop manual the sprockets are simply pressed on. So does anyone know how to move the two outer sprockets back into alignment? John, can you hit a home run twice?
LeftSide.jpg
RightSide.jpg

Today I tried to move the outer sprocket using a crow bar and then hammering in small plastic wedges. Didn't move at all. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be very grateful.

you are going to need a hydraulic wedge or use a threaded rod with nuts to push it over without pulling the shaft out.

From other posts, I see that this is a common problem. Looks as if any way I can put pressure on the outside of the sprockets, there is a chance of breaking the chain case or harming the left side bearing so I'll leave it for this winter and plan on pulling the shaft next spring. We use this VK Pro for grooming ski trails so top speeds are less than 25 km/hour. Great sled otherwise.

If you had this problem, let us know if you just ignored it, if the misaligned sprockets created other parts failures or if you finally had to pull the shaft and push the sprockets back in place.

Back