• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case ?

upei93

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper X-TX LE MPI turbo
2009 Nytro XTX
Going to be going in to my chain case to do drivers and top gear and want to have everything set...should I replace all bearing in there with these or will I be ok with stock? 2015 mpi 180 with 3000 miles. I'm having a hard time finding the fag bearing.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 111

I would want to compare the specs on the bearings you have pictured versus the bearings you'd get at your dealer to be sure they're as good or better before use them. If you were asking if you would change them while you're in there the answer is absolutely. Cheap insurance versus being broken down on the trail somewhere or damaging other parts if they fail.
I change mine roughly every other year weather they need it or not, and always keep spares in the tool box.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I would want to compare the specs on the bearings you have pictured versus the bearings you'd get at your dealer to be sure they're as good or better before use them. If you were asking if you would change them while you're in there the answer is absolutely. Cheap insurance versus being broken down on the trail somewhere or damaging other parts if they fail.
I change mine roughly every other year weather they need it or not, and always keep spares in the tool box.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

These are the bearings Mr Sled posted about a while back and went into his Viper...that was back when the chain tension spec was wrong and everybody was blowing chain cases up...think problem is solved but want to be sure.

I read that thread about the chaincase problems, and I seem to recall a reference to " Made in China" being marked on them. I've never heard of anyone going out of their way to find Chinese bearings for their builds...

Like nate007 says, being broke down trailside is when regret kicks you in the teeth!

Finally got around to visiting a local bearing shop that supplies local industry with their bearings and they cannot find or do not stock the above bearings... buddy told me it could be because they are American part numbers...he told me to take the old bearings in to cross reference...problem is he couldn't promise me that the replacements wouldn't be Chinese...anybody from Canada have any part numbers for aftermarket chain case bearings for a 2015 viper?

Going to be going in to my chain case to do drivers and top gear and want to have everything set...should I replace all bearing in there with these or will I be ok with stock? 2015 mpi 180 with 3000 miles. I'm having a hard time finding the fag bearing.
Do the bearing need to have the "C3" suffix (internal clearance greater then normal) or it can be normal? By exemple 6009 and 2206?

I just ordered those bearings on eBay. Prices where good.

I got my sled tore apart to the snap rings holding the old ones in. I can't figure out how to get those SOBs out since there is no holes for a snap rings tool.

image.png

I got my sled tore apart to the snap rings holding the old ones in. I can't figure out how to get those SOBs out since there is no holes for a snap rings tool.
If it's this type of snap ring with a small flat screwdriver find the end and pick it out, then it'll come free of the slot sorta like a slinky.

It isn't a coil like that, but it does have the tapered edges. I can't pull the end out far enough to get it to unseat. I've tried needle nose players and a flat head screwdriver. No luck. I'm also scaring up the housing which makes me nervous...

It isn't a coil like that, but it does have the tapered edges. I can't pull the end out far enough to get it to unseat. I've tried needle nose players and a flat head screwdriver. No luck. I'm also scaring up the housing which makes me nervous...

Some time ago there was discussion about these snap rings. From memory they said you have to work on them till you get them out and then drill your own small holes for the next removal.
I know this is not much help.

Theres a special type of pliers for taking them off.
I gotta look for the name of them

Flat tip retaining ring pliers.
Mcmaster carr, or most decent autoparts stors will have them.
But even with the correct tools they suck to remove.
I resized all of mine when they were apart and installed normal external retaining rings much much easier to work on now.

Some time ago there was discussion about these snap rings. From memory they said you have to work on them till you get them out and then drill your own small holes for the next removal.
I know this is not much help.
Just get the NEW circlips, they are normal ones with holes in them.

Flat tip retaining ring pliers.
Mcmaster carr, or most decent autoparts stors will have them.
But even with the correct tools they suck to remove.
I resized all of mine when they were apart and installed normal external retaining rings much much easier to work on now.
They are called Eaton ring pliers. And they still SUCK. Compare a new ring to a removed and replaced ring, and you can see the difference in diameter. They are poor quality rings to start with. Update to the normal circlip. Speaking from years of messing with this overly complicated chaincase, starting in Nov. of 2011.

They are called Eaton ring pliers. And they still SUCK. Compare a new ring to a removed and replaced ring, and you can see the difference in diameter. They are poor quality rings to start with. Update to the normal circlip. Speaking from years of messing with this overly complicated chaincase, starting in Nov. of 2011.[/QUOTE

Just did a search. Cant find any plier called an eaton ring plier. Theres plenty of pliers with different names, just none called eaton
Can you post a link? I would love to have the correct tool for the job

Back