• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase driveshaft seal

scooterwj

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW
I'm in the process of maintenance and replacing my PTO side drivesahft bearing and installing Travis Wedgy thingy... Any reason to replace the chaincase driveshaft seal or do those last for a long time typically?

If it's in good shape, no cuts, scrapes, and it was sealed good it should be fine. I'd polish the track shaft with some fine scotchbrite and put some grease on the seal lip and the shaft journal when installing. Remember the inside of the seal is bathed in chaincase oil. On brake caliper side, again I'd polish journal where seal rides to make sure it's smooth, then apply grease to seal and journal upon assembly.
In the big picture, you are servicing a major and important drive assembly. The chain case side seal is about $22 and the caliper side is about $6. For about $28, I think I'd just get new ones.
Have fun.

Back