• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase inspection and cleaning - colour of oil - Type?

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Vector ltx GT
2010 MXZ X 1200
I pulled the chaincase apart last night. Heard the scary sound of parts falling but with the assistance of the parts diagram figured out where everything goes. The inside had a copper coloured look to it. I inspected and found nothing copper colour that might have been wearing. I am under the assumption this is an element that is in the lubrication. If it is does anyone know what type it is? Hopefully yamaha brand.

Cheers

what colour was the oil in it? there are copper coloured synthetic gear oils.

Will throw this out there, because I just went through a similar situation on my 15 Apex. When I drained the chain case lube at the end of the season, it came out a flat chalky brown/copper color too. The sled was new to me, so thought maybe former owner used something other than typical chain case oil. After the drained oil sat a while, I noticed water separating/beading up in the oil, hmmmm.
Tore the chain case apart and found water intrusion into the entire case laying in the bearings and cavities of the case. It ended up being the seal behind the lower driveshaft bearing was split. How it got dicked up is a mystery, as sled only had a few miles on it, I suspect it was when the track was replaced either by the owner or dealership. The seal lip that rides on the shaft was cracked, hard to see unless you inspect it close, and lift it slightly to expose the crack.
Something to check if you have the case tore down.

That's scary, I had had the chaincase apart and everything looks good. The oil was not milky which indicates water. Seems that it might just have the type of oil.

If that seal had failed I would assume you would see an indication of oil on the garage floor.

Will throw this out there, because I just went through a similar situation on my 15 Apex. When I drained the chain case lube at the end of the season, it came out a flat chalky brown/copper color too. The sled was new to me, so thought maybe former owner used something other than typical chain case oil. After the drained oil sat a while, I noticed water separating/beading up in the oil, hmmmm.
Tore the chain case apart and found water intrusion into the entire case laying in the bearings and cavities of the case. It ended up being the seal behind the lower driveshaft bearing was split. How it got dicked up is a mystery, as sled only had a few miles on it, I suspect it was when the track was replaced either by the owner or dealership. The seal lip that rides on the shaft was cracked, hard to see unless you inspect it close, and lift it slightly to expose the crack.
Something to check if you have the case tore down.

That sounds like severe d!ck pain! No one likes cracked lips on their shaft! ;)

After reading Apexallday's reply, I decided to pull it apart again. I I have it completely tore down. The colour inside the case seems to be the same colour as the oil so I am guessing it is just that and not rust. That said, I have it tore down to this point so I might just as well pull the inner case. If I remove the three bolts will it just slide off or is the bearing pressed on?

After reading Apexallday's reply, I decided to pull it apart again. I I have it completely tore down. The colour inside the case seems to be the same colour as the oil so I am guessing it is just that and not rust. That said, I have it tore down to this point so I might just as well pull the inner case. If I remove the three bolts will it just slide off or is the bearing pressed on?

If memory serves the case will just slide off. The bearings and seals are pressed into the case.

make sure there are no set screws on the bearing to the drive shaft on the other end there will be I cant remember if they are on the chain case side too. you would get at them from in the tunnel.

Back