• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase removal and inspection

Is it possible to have a bushing pressed in to replace the top gear bush? Up here, Cat has the gear listed for $108!

Is it possible to have a bushing pressed in to replace the top gear bush? Up here, Cat has the gear listed for $108!

Yes...

1122191154.jpg

I bought 3 of them from a local distributor and have installed one so far for a friend who will be trying it in a Sidewinder. They are a Bunting Bearing ToughMet 3 bushing #TMCB161808. Grainger & Zoro sell them. They will cost more than what a new gear/bushing does but I am being told that they will never wear out. They have 15% nickel in them.

They are not just a drop in replacement. The bore needs to be enlarged around 0.003" in order to get it to fit back on the shaft after it is pressed into the gear. I also don't know yet if the width needs to be trimmed. The stock bushing is 7/8" wide. These are 1" and will stick out one side a bit when pressed in flush on the other. I may contact the manufacturer and see if they are able to make them them the right size specs to be a direct replacement.

Since the gear needs to be bored out, I wonder if anyone has considered using a needle bearing and race? Both would require press fit to prevent spinning on shaft/bore.

Since the gear needs to be bored out, I wonder if anyone has considered using a needle bearing and race? Both would require press fit to prevent spinning on shaft/bore.

The bushing gets bored, not the gear. Also, the bushing only spins on the shaft when in reverse so I don't see how a needle bearing would help.

I bought 3 of them from a local distributor and have installed one so far for a friend who will be trying it in a Sidewinder. They are a Bunting Bearing ToughMet 3 bushing #TMCB161808. Grainger & Zoro sell them. They will cost more than what a new gear/bushing does but I am being told that they will never wear out. They have 15% nickel in them.

They are not just a drop in replacement. The bore needs to be enlarged around 0.003" in order to get it to fit back on the shaft after it is pressed into the gear. I also don't know yet if the width needs to be trimmed. The stock bushing is 7/8" wide. These are 1" and will stick out one side a bit when pressed in flush on the other. I may contact the manufacturer and see if they are able to make them them the right size specs to be a direct replacement.

Thanks for the info, for now, I ordered a stock replacement gear. I'll keep the original and see what I can do with it.

My dealer told me the stockers have a teflon liner. If true, it wouldn't seem to be very robust. It was $102 CAD.

Hi,
I had my 2014 Viper for one season now, has about 3600 miles on. After reading the 2 or 3 different threads, I am thinking of opening up the chain case and checking for wear. I am a little unsure about the gears that are prone to wear or fail. Could someone point out which numbers on the attached picture I should be looking at for wear?
Thanks

2014 viper chain case.png

Hi,
I had my 2014 Viper for one season now, has about 3600 miles on. After reading the 2 or 3 different threads, I am thinking of opening up the chain case and checking for wear. I am a little unsure about the gears that are prone to wear or fail. Could someone point out which numbers on the attached picture I should be looking at for wear?
Thanks

View attachment 154670
Cant read yours. #20 is the gear the bushing wears on and #26 is the tensioner the bolts fall out of. These are from a RTX so your XTX will have a different gear.
Chaincase.jpg

Hi,
Thanks

View attachment 154670
In your pic #19 is the gear and 25 is the tensioner that cannondale27 is referring to.

Back