• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Change oil or not?

Zulu

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 yamaha sr viper xtx
Hey guys, hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far.
I could use some advice.
Purchased a Stock 2014 Viper xtx (3329 miles) March 2021. Last season (previous owner) the sled was driven 184 miles on a fresh engine and chain case oil change. Should I change it again before next season? Would hate to waste the oil and $$$ if not necessary. More so, I would hate to not do the proper maintenance/precautions and possibly pay more down the road/trail.

Do you know the previous owner? If I did and trusted that he used the correct oil I'd likely pass for the coming year with only 184miles on it. If I didn't know what went in it then I'd definitely change.

Do you know the previous owner? If I did and trusted that he used the correct oil I'd likely pass for the coming year with only 184miles on it. If I didn't know what went in it then I'd definitely change.

I don't know the previous owner but he seemed like a pretty straight up guy and legit. He seemed very honest and upfront about everything . He said he was done with sledding because of family commitments (his wife won the arm wrestle) and needed liquid cash to buy a rv trailer for a permanent camp site. I'm familiar with the campsite he is going to and I know that you have to have at minimum a new or newer Park Model which are at least 30-40k. He was quite upset having to sell his beloved sled and actually gave me everything he had snowmobile related. I contacted him a couple of times in the beginning with a few questions which he answered but then asked me to please not contact him anymore because he is regretting selling his snowmobile which he had devoted a lot of time and money into and it pained him to think about it. When I first looked at the sled you could tell by his home and vehicles (69 Nova muscle car) that he is very meticulous and everything is well taken care of. You could also tell he absolutely loved that sled and was not thrilled about selling it. I came away from the sale feeling pretty good and felt he was a upstanding guy and very honest. Having said all that I guess some people can be really good actors and pull the wool over your eyes.

I don't know the previous owner but he seemed like a pretty straight up guy and legit. He seemed very honest and upfront about everything . He said he was done with sledding because of family commitments (his wife won the arm wrestle) and needed liquid cash to buy a rv trailer for a permanent camp site. I'm familiar with the campsite he is going to and I know that you have to have at minimum a new or newer Park Model which are at least 30-40k. He was quite upset having to sell his beloved sled and actually gave me everything he had snowmobile related. I contacted him a couple of times in the beginning with a few questions which he answered but then asked me to please not contact him anymore because he is regretting selling his snowmobile which he had devoted a lot of time and money into and it pained him to think about it. When I first looked at the sled you could tell by his home and vehicles (69 Nova muscle car) that he is very meticulous and everything is well taken care of. You could also tell he absolutely loved that sled and was not thrilled about selling it. I came away from the sale feeling pretty good and felt he was a upstanding guy and very honest. Having said all that I guess some people can be really good actors and pull the wool over your eyes.
I should also mention I did see a case of Amsoil oil in his garage.

He sounds like he's taken good care of it. Comes down to preference and perhaps budget at this point. Personally when I buy something used I change everything out whether it looks good or not. May be a waste for some but gives me piece of mind and a baseline to start with.

There have
He sounds like he's taken good care of it. Comes down to preference and perhaps budget at this point. Personally when I buy something used I change everything out whether it looks good or not. May be a waste for some but gives me piece of mind and a baseline to start with.

Yes the sled is in beautiful condition and pride of ownership was evident.
There have only been a few responses but so far the general consensus is CHANGE IT. Based on that, I will be changing both engine and chain case oils, plus gear, chain, etc. inspection. As you know, inspection is key sometimes to avoiding catastrophic failure. I have a lot of respect and value for the advice and expertized of most everyone on this forum.
You solidified my decision when you said "piece of mind". I know next season it would have been always be in the back of my mind if didn't change it. I guess one of reasons I was a little hesitant/apprehensive, is that right now I don't have the facility to do it, so I will have to bring into a shop...but I got a guy.

Thank you again for taking the time to voice your opinion and have a great summer.

it may have only 189 miles on the oil but, it was run so the oil has combustion acids in it from running. I always change my oil before putting the selds away for the summer to avoid having the combustion acids in the oil degrading seals, bearings or other components it may come into contact with while the selds sit idle.

184 miles, I’d keep it and go if the oil level is good. So many good oils on market but it’s a personal decision. I think we often over think a lot of this stuff.

184 miles, I’d keep it and go if the oil level is good. So many good oils on market but it’s a personal decision. I think we often over think a lot of this stuff.
It's Amsoil.

Back