• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

changing exhaust donuts

I'm in the middle of a track swap ,1.25x144 to 1.75x144 BC when I came acrossed this thread. I've got 5,700 miles on my 2010. I did the rag test/check and was nearly able to stall it. I couldn't hear any leaking but decided to take it apart and see anyway. I got it apart without incident , the dounuts are almost gone. I hear copper is the way to go with replacements. I won't be this close to the plugs for a while so I'll probabley change those too. I've ordered $200.00 bucks worth of bearings and bushings for the skid and graphite hyfax. I hope I'm done finding stuff that's worn out :o|

cemjr said:
I'm in the middle of a track swap ,1.25x144 to 1.75x144 BC when I came acrossed this thread. I've got 5,700 miles on my 2010. I did the rag test/check and was nearly able to stall it. I couldn't hear any leaking but decided to take it apart and see anyway. I got it apart without incident , the dounuts are almost gone. I hear copper is the way to go with replacements. I won't be this close to the plugs for a while so I'll probabley change those too. I've ordered $200.00 bucks worth of bearings and bushings for the skid and graphite hyfax. I hope I'm done finding stuff that's worn out :o|
Have you checked the freeplay on your A arms and ski spindles? You might not yet be finished.....

Just curious what are you guys doing about the material that gets burnt up when the donuts go? I have been running since I did my gaskets ( 5000km ago) with none of that material on the heat shield, anything to worry about? I've thought about putting some heat reflective tape on it, necessary?

I remember reading a previous post where guys were buying heat blankets from NAPA and cutting them to size and gluing them in. Your call if you think it's necessary after 5000km's w/o

First ride tonight on the Sledtoyz copper donuts I changed this summer on my '08. What a difference. No rattle or backfiring. Like a new sled. I was lucky my exhaust wasn't ruined and the swap was easy. Remove the seat/gas tank and the cover and loosen the exhaust. I had to remove one of the pipes from the engine but I managed to get the other 2 on somehow. ;)!

canoehead said:
cemjr said:
Have you checked the freeplay on your A arms and ski spindles? You might not yet be finished.....
Tie rod ends will be shot too. At least mine are but I spent the budget on bling before I realized they are shot. I guess I could return wifey's Christmas gift for additional budget.Lol

The front end is still pretty tight , I had the subframe and the A arms on one side replaced under warranty last season. The other side isn't too bad.

Isn't there two different people selling these? I recall one is US made and the other China. Any difference between the two?

Thanks,
Dave

just a fyi...lubing the balljoints and tierod ends makes a huge difference in their lifespan. i spray anything that moves with fluidfilm, and it drys to a greaselike coating....stops rust etc. my 4511 mile xtx is still like new, 3000 mile rtx i bought needed all new balljoints and tierod ends because it never got lube.
lube didnt help the a arms or ski spindles however...had to do oillite and UP bushmans spindle kit. better then elmers spindle kit by FAR.
and x10 on the copper. both nytros are done.

Back