• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing plugs on new to me sled, CR9E vs CR9EB

steveg_nh

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak
I am getting ready to change the oil and plugs in my new to me 07 Attak. Dealer gave me NGK CR9E plugs. Just checked manual and it says they should be CR9EB. I read up on the differences and the "B" has the fatter typical tip at the top of the plug. The CR9E just has a thin threaded tip.

Before I get surprised and pull the plugs in there and realize I do in fact have the wrong ones (and then can't finish the job), can anyone help me understand what I should have? I would think using the thinner CR9E with the threaded top would not be correct if the wires are calling for the larger tip.

Thanks

I am getting ready to change the oil and plugs in my new to me 07 Attak. Dealer gave me NGK CR9E plugs. Just checked manual and it says they should be CR9EB. I read up on the differences and the "B" has the fatter typical tip at the top of the plug. The CR9E just has a thin threaded tip.

Before I get surprised and pull the plugs in there and realize I do in fact have the wrong ones (and then can't finish the job), can anyone help me understand what I should have? I would think using the thinner CR9E with the threaded top would not be correct if the wires are calling for the larger tip.

Thanks

Get the 9B's the 9E's are for RX-1's and will not fit the plug wire boot.

Grrr. Whatever though. The plugs were $5 each cheaper at auto parts store. They had them. $12 vs $34 at dealer.

Speaking of plugs. I can't find them.

Are they under these things (circled)?

Attachments

• IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 182
This guy show below, along with a proper spark plug socket with rubber grommet, will be your best friend in removing/installing the plugs from the motor. You can work around most of the wiring and brackets etc, but I have found removing the overflow jug and setting it aside makes life easier on that side of the sled.
A rotating back and forth motion on the coil/plug boots while pulling upward is the best way to remove them, put some dielectric grease on the outside of them when re-installing to simplify next time. Cheers.

Attachments

• 099198858227.jpg
    099198858227.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 136
Thanks. Much appreciated. I have the swivels, so that will help. Are you using that on the plug end, connected to the plug socket, or at the top of the extension near the ratchet head?

I find the best tool for the job is in the tool kit that came with the sled. it fits perfect.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I have the swivels, so that will help. Are you using that on the plug end, connected to the plug socket, or at the top of the extension near the ratchet head?

Generally I use a short extension in the spark plug socket, then the swivel, another short or long extension as needed, then a ratchet.

Also, takes a bit of horsing around to get the connectors off the plug boots/coils, need to find a way to release the retainer clip inside to allow them to be pulled off, not much extra wire to work with tucked away down there.

Generally I use a short extension in the spark plug socket, then the swivel, another short or long extension as needed, then a ratchet.

Also, takes a bit of horsing around to get the connectors off the plug boots/coils, need to find a way to release the retainer clip inside to allow them to be pulled off, not much extra wire to work with tucked away down there.

You nailed it. And of course, I did have the CR9EB plugs. Thank goodness I checked. I would have been piseed if I didn't realize it till I got the old plugs out. My boots popped right off. Easy peazy. Previous owner or mechanic had dielectric grease on the boots. Easy as pie. And you're thoughts on the setup for the extensions and swivel were spot on. Socket>3" extension>swivel>6" extension. Pretty straightforward process actually.

I did realize I did not have the ability to use my small (1/4" drive) torque wrench though, and I really didn't want to risk over tightening. I did it by feel and got nervous on the first one so I backed it out just finger tight. I bought a 1/4" female to 3/8" male adapter so I could use my small inch pound torque wrench. My 3/8" torque wrench was too low in it's range to really be effective at 9-10 ft lbs. I didn't trust that either. :)

Back