• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing Skid & Track

FishinFreaks

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Apex MTX
I had a fun adventure ice fishing last month. Wouldn't think much would happen driving across a lake, but I hit a boulder under the snow portaging between bays. Ended up with a broken skid on my 08 Apex MTX.

So now I've got to replace the skid, shock, slides, and track.

I'm wondering about going shorter than the 162, as the 162 is a bit overkill here in MN. Looking at a 151. I'm wondering if this can work. And which will work? I know my track is 16". It's also a 2.52, right?

Got any creative ideas for me on what to use for a suspension and track? I need to go used, as I'm paying out of pocket. And I'm not a big time mechanical sled header, either. I can get some help, but won't be able to do major mods.

I've found a 151 inch suspension on eBay, and maybe a track, but not sure if it's a 15 or 16 inch...

Attachments

• skid.jpg
    skid.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 675
  • 68589.jpeg
    68589.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 248

mtx is 3 pitch track stock.

15" wide will be fine for what you are doing. just replace the drivers to match the track you get.

venture skid?

Pitch should be 3". I put a 15" track on mine, with an arctic cat skid.
The drivers are easy, if you`ve got access to a shop press.. You have to remove the drive shaft to remove/change the track, so most of the work is done.

FishinFreaks, I have a complete 163 skid from my MTX. It’s an aftermarket lightweight skid. Great shape and it should bolt right in. PM if you are interested.

Back