• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check your chaincase chain adjuster!

Thunder Products

Making your sled the best!
TY Advertiser
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha, Polaris, AC and Ski-Doo
WEBSITE
www.thunderproductsclutching.com
Another one in the shop with the screws that have loosened up and come out. A couple more miles down the trail and this would have been very very bad.

This is in the chaincase of an XF9000 (basically same as Sidewinder or Viper)

The fix to keep this from happening is tack weld the screws once they are tight.

Attachments

• 20211205_154239.jpg
    20211205_154239.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 20211205_154445.jpg
    20211205_154445.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 360

Why anyone would run without tack welding the screw is beyond my comprehension.
The average guy can’t weld this properly. I AGREE WITH YOU should be welded. But let’s be honest here guys. How many guys are going to pop the chaincase and do this them selves? I’m lucky I have a great friend Clutchmaster who is a welding god. I couldn’t weld my way out of a ski doo owned by ocdsteve? Just saying

The average guy can’t weld this properly. I AGREE WITH YOU should be welded. But let’s be honest here guys. How many guys are going to pop the chaincase and do this them selves? I’m lucky I have a great friend Clutchmaster who is a welding god. I couldn’t weld my way out of a ski doo owned by ocdsteve? Just saying

I sure miss that old dog Clutch on here. He was always good for a laugh and knows his sheet too. We need to start a petition to get him back on here...

OCD will need a pick me up after riding that 900R once he gets owned by his old winder. He's going to need Clutch to weld that little wastage shut!

Is it the screw that holds the roller axle?
How many miles on the sled pictured?

Is it the screw that holds the roller axle?
How many miles on the sled pictured?
It’s the screws that holds the roller. Yes. It’s not like the roller is a wear part or a bad thing. It’s just the screws back out. Why not lock it down from factory? The roller doesn’t need to be changed or wear out? I guess it’s like adding anti seize to the drive shaft surface and bearing??? :rolleyes:

I put red loctite on mine 2 seasons ago. I check them every fall. So far, so good.

No loctite on the oem screws?
What kind of miles on the ones that fail?

I just took apart the chaincase on my 2017 LTX SE. This sled only has 850 miles on it. Both adjuster roller screws were backed out. The pic below is the worst one. There is no Loctite on the screws and is likely why they loosen so fast. When I took apart my 15 Viper, there was green Loctite on the screws. I don't know if the previous owner of that sled put the Loctite on them or not.
1206212033.jpg

Both my 2020 and 2022 had alot of loctite from the factory. Required heating with propane torch for quite a while to budge them loose. I tack welded them anyway as I had them in my hand so why not. As long as your welding ability allows you to make a blob thats all you need to do. Small blob on one edge and grind it flush after and screw wont budge.

Both my 2020 and 2022 had alot of loctite from the factory. Required heating with propane torch for quite a while to budge them loose. I tack welded them anyway as I had them in my hand so why not. As long as your welding ability allows you to make a blob thats all you need to do. Small blob on one edge and grind it flush after and screw wont budge.
I am going to have a local TIG welder do it. You don't really get a "blob" then.

Ya, I remember after 17, the 18+, i believe they loctite them and you never really heard any more about it.

Why anyone would run without tack welding the screw is beyond my comprehension.

Because a lot of guys will chime in "i've never had a problem in 2000 miles"
or
"You guys are just paranoid"
or
"it only happens to you boosted & studded guys"

DO NOT RELY on LOCTITE!!!!!
It helps, but i've seen many fail.
My second Winder was Loctited & "super tightened" with a scar in threads, so i was told.
When i sold it to FLEECER, the screw was about to fall off.

It's possible they LOCTITE it from factory & put oil in right away before it sets.
And some cheapO fastener stuff isn't oil resistant.
If you have it apart, WELD it.
NOTHING is forever. Except a weld.....................and DON aka: VXR1........................he's old

I sure miss that old dog Clutch on here. He was always good for a laugh and knows his sheet too. We need to start a petition to get him back on here...

OCD will need a pick me up after riding that 900R once he gets owned by his old winder. He's going to need Clutch to weld that little wastage shut!

Actually i spanked my old Winder all over Maine last year.
I just got soooooooo far ahead before the straightaways. It was actually quite challenging & fun.
At least my SCREWS didn't fall off. LOL

Back