• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cleaning out chain case residue

TrueBlue

Lifetime Member
I have 2 Vectors & I change chain case oil every year. I would like to clean some of the residue out of the bottom of chain case without removing cover. I thought I would pour a little gas in there & try to disolve some of the residue in the bottom & drain. Both machines have about 2,200 miles on them. Does anyone else
have a better idea?

Thank's for that information. In your opinion how much Kerosene would you pour in there & would it be best to keep the drain plug in there after you drain the old chain case oil out
I would take it apart but if in your shoes would leave plug in and fill it then shake the sled around in attempt to dislodge any crud. Maybe a few times.

Why do anything
My vector has 16,000 miles on it. I change the oil every year but have never thought of having crud in there.
I sure wouldn't put anything but the proper oil in there

if you have a stand that you can spin the track I would do that with the solvent in the case with plug in then pull plug and run more through it to rinse. But like Steve said I would open the case good time check everything over.

if you have a stand that you can spin the track I would do that with the solvent in the case with plug in then pull plug and run more through it to rinse. But like Steve said I would open the case good time check everything over.

Thank's for everyone 's advice. I think I will fill with Kerosene run track, remove drain plug & repeat with a good flush.

I do the drain - flush - refill process to my chaincases after every long ride (1000 miles or longer) during the season. I use wd-40 as the solvent/cleaner. I like to keep the chaincase free of water and metal debris. At the end of every season I open the chaincase for inspection. Been using this process for 20 years across 4 sleds (Exciter, Vmax4, 2000 SRX and 2003 RX-1)with a total of 60000 miles of riding without a single chaincase problem. It is worthwhile to open the chaincase for inspection once the miles get up there to make sure the chain is good. I remove the chain and inspect it for broken plates and measure the total stretch against the spec'd limit. I use Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil and slightly overfill the level.

Jim

Similar to using kerosene I have used 5w 30 oil - filled and flushed it several times until it’s clear. Let it drip real Good and fill with chain lube

Case will be pristine inside
Ms

WOW, that's through preventive maintenance

I do the drain - flush - refill process to my chaincases after every long ride (1000 miles or longer) during the season. I use wd-40 as the solvent/cleaner. I like to keep the chaincase free of water and metal debris. At the end of every season I open the chaincase for inspection. Been using this process for 20 years across 4 sleds (Exciter, Vmax4, 2000 SRX and 2003 RX-1)with a total of 60000 miles of riding without a single chaincase problem. It is worthwhile to open the chaincase for inspection once the miles get up there to make sure the chain is good. I remove the chain and inspect it for broken plates and measure the total stretch against the spec'd limit. I use Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil and slightly overfill the level.

Jim

I have 2 Vectors & I change chain case oil every year. I would like to clean some of the residue out of the bottom of chain case without removing cover. I thought I would pour a little gas in there & try to disolve some of the residue in the bottom & drain. Both machines have about 2,200 miles on them. Does anyone else
have a better idea?
Arctic Cat has a gearcase flush fluid for their gear drive cases. Might be useful. You run it a bit to circulate then drain.

That's tough to do with these sleds without a drain plug. Reinstalling the entire chain case face, exhaust - then take it apart. Lots of work.

Jim

Your idea of a "long ride" is more mileage than a lot of people's seasons!

Back