• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Closed loop PM tune muffler swaps

dmarriner60

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Riot 9000 on the way, 2014 xtx turbo, 2012 xf 1100 turbo, 2004 T660 turbo
Hello all,
First off a big thanks to all sharing the knowledge! I have been turbo addicted since 2009 with my first 1100, we have 3 different turbos in the stable currently and a 998 on order. So been reading like crazy and have been through hundreds of pages already, planning the bullet proofing & mods for the 998 once it lands. I am closer to figuring out my first year goals, but found my self wondering about 15-17psi PM tune running with header & closed loop; would fuel cut handle throwing on the stock muffler and switching back and forth depending on riding area fine or just best to buy separate sets of tunes. I know it would be fat and trying to keep up, just curious what everyone's thoughts are?

Hello all,
First off a big thanks to all sharing the knowledge! I have been turbo addicted since 2009 with my first 1100, we have 3 different turbos in the stable currently and a 998 on order. So been reading like crazy and have been through hundreds of pages already, planning the bullet proofing & mods for the 998 once it lands. I am closer to figuring out my first year goals, but found my self wondering about 15-17psi PM tune running with header & closed loop; would fuel cut handle throwing on the stock muffler and switching back and forth depending on riding area fine or just best to buy separate sets of tunes. I know it would be fat and trying to keep up, just curious what everyone's thoughts are?
I am currently running SM max 16 with closed loop and header and am moving to TD Max spool 17 since i already have all the key components in place, the stock muffler is a real bottle neck at this point the muffler gets real hot when your really pouring the beans to it for long distance. its cheap for the re flash, install the upgraded fuel pump and buy the mod stock muffler 3 inch since the sound is very close to stock and will put power at a tick over 300. i feel this should be more than i ever need i hope. boost is addictive.

I will more than likely head down the same road, had planned on the flasher, pump upgrade with return back to cup, and really just keep going back and forth between SM and PM... so I will probably do both and swap tunes when swapping muffler. Dammit my list is long and adding up fast, God help me if the Wife signs up for a TY or HCS account got a solid 12-15k worth of mods in my 1100 now already spent at least 5-7k make believe on the ordered 998

Stock muffler and hi-flow muffler will require different tune bundle.

Just get a tune bundle, quiet muffler and clutching. All the other stuff like fuel pump/header/closed loop won’t make you faster or more reliable.

I know that's what I should do but man I have such a hard time leaving well enough alone. I am certain every year I will be trying to figure out what I could do next if I don't go all out. I know I will have to find a lower engagement primary spring, some weights, and maybe just a bundle and mod stock to start. I feel like the perfect setup would be a bundle of 240, 270, SM285, 300. Is that bundle possible with the flasher?

If you have a flasher you should be able t get the dealer to load whatever u want if you have the supporting hardware.

that is really good to hear!

Hello all,
If you buy a tune bundle you should be able to mix tunes, stock muffler and high flow muffler? Not 100% sure. That being said if buy a high flow muffler tune the closed loop should work well when you put stock muffler on, may be rich at slower speeds as the closed loop kicks in at a certain speed.

Closed loop can only take or add so much. I wouldn’t try to run a PM tune with a SM installed or vice versa

If you buy a tune bundle you should be able to mix tunes, stock muffler and high flow muffler? Not 100% sure. That being said if buy a high flow muffler tune the closed loop should work well when you put stock muffler on, may be rich at slower speeds as the closed loop kicks in at a certain speed.

The reason you dont want to do that is if you loose the o2 sensor it reverts to the base tunes parameters. I've seen up to 20% reduction in fuel multiplier and a 25% increase on the base map playing with different fuel pressures in various air conditions, so its possible and it might compensate fine until the o2 sensor or module quits working and reverts to the base tune.

Bottom line is this, you want to run the tune bundle that matches the muffler installed and not chance it.

The reason you dont want to do that is if you loose the o2 sensor it reverts to the base tunes parameters. I've seen up to 20% reduction in fuel multiplier and a 25% increase on the base map playing with different fuel pressures in various air conditions, so its possible and it might compensate fine until the o2 sensor or module quits working and reverts to the base tune.

Bottom line is this, you want to run the tune bundle that matches the muffler installed and not chance it.
Don’t disagree with you and my exact observations. I have 4 mufflers (I have issues lol) and I play with fuel pressure so closed loop does not work to much, I don’t believe in counting on closed loop but good fine tuning. Just saying if he just wants to go with one tune he can go with the rich one, sure if O2 fails may run like crap on stock muffler until fixed but be safe.

Back